SOLVED

Can a shared account post to Teams without using a license?

Steel Contributor

Hi,

We have an Events Committee at work and they plan all of our events in the office.  They want to be able to post event news and updates to Teams but don't want to post as themselves.  They requested we setup an "Events" account for them to use to post instead.  We thought about also doing this with an "IT" account to post things as the department instead of as individuals.

We already have a Shared Mailbox for Events as that doesn't require a license.  Is there a way I can create an Events ID that they could use only for posting to Teams?  I don't want to have to assign an E3 license to them just for this.

I see there is a Teams Trial license option in the admin center but I'm not sure what that allows access to so I don't know if I could use that as an option.

If anyone knows if/how we can do this, please let me know.

Thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Mike Boehm (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Mike Boehm 

How about using that shared mailbox and then emailing the channel of the Team?

An alternative way could possibly be to use a guest account: however, this would be an account outside of your tenant.

Best, Chris

Hmm.  Emailing from the shared box might work.  I'll look into that.

Thanks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mike Boehm (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Mike Boehm 

How about using that shared mailbox and then emailing the channel of the Team?

An alternative way could possibly be to use a guest account: however, this would be an account outside of your tenant.

Best, Chris

View solution in original post