SOLVED

Call queue groups - stop calls coming through when on another call

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help with my scenario - it seems microsoft cant!  I've just migrated a client from S4B with a hosted provider over to Teams in O365.  I've setup a call queue, which rings a group of users (reception staff) simultaneously.  When a call comes in, one of the team will answer, while they are busy, the calls that hit the queue continue to come through to them and the screen pop + the incoming call notification are extremely distracting, even pressing reject on the screen pop it just comes back after a second or so.  

The only suggestion microsoft have been able to offer is for the reception staff to manually change to DND when they accept a call, and then change back to available when the call is complete.

Surely i cant be the only person  that thinks this is a fundamental need for a PBX system? 

21 Replies

@Mark_PNTS that's what attendant routing does, switch to serial or round robin.

Thanks.. waiting to get the free virtual licenses applied to my account so I can setup AA properly. But ideally I'd like all non busy extensions in the group to ring simultaneously
This is absolutely false information. There is no way at this time to stop calls on calls from happening. Changing the routing type does nothing in regards to this. This is the problem with these forums when people post false information and don't help. All this does is send people down the wrong direction and wastes time. If you don't know then that's fine but DON'T post false information!
Upon further investigation you can stop calls on calls if you enable busy on busy then disable conference mode in the call queue.

@Chaserz31 If you look at the date on the above posts you will see its from July 2019, and lots of changes have come in to call queues in the past 18 months.

There is now an option to enable 'presence based routing', previously it was defined by which routing method had been chosen.

Presence-based routing uses the availability status of call agents to determine whether an agent should be included in the call routing list for the selected routing method. Call agents whose availability status is set to Available are included in the call routing list and can receive calls. Agents whose availability status is set to any other status are excluded from the call routing list and won't receive calls until their availability status changes back to Available.

Create a call queue in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

That still doesn't work. As the original question was posted he said you need to set status to DND. Presence based routing will only work if you are set to DND. That means in order to avoid calls on calls then you have to manually enable it everytime which is a serious pain. Presence based routing doesn't work for any other status.

See user voice
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/36758488-new-calls-ring-while-...
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Chaserz31 Presence based routing will not offer the call to the agent who is opt in to the queue and is busy with another call, away, dnd, focusing state or busy by setting this as status. 

Your statement is bit confusing for people who does not have full picture. 

"Presence-based routing uses the availability status of call agents to determine whether an agent should be included in the call routing list for the selected routing method. Call agents whose availability status is set to Available are included in the call routing list and can receive calls. Agents whose availability status is set to any other status are excluded from the call routing list and won't receive calls until their availability status changes back to Available." 

Really lot has changed in comparison to 2019 feature set. 
I personally have tested presence based routing and can confirm that this is working as desired so not sure if you have different experience or your statement is based on assumption. 

I can only confirm that Microsoft documentation is false in statement that presence based routing can be enabled on all routing methods because on Longest Idle methods this feature is not possible now to be even enabled. On the Attendant Routing it is possible. 

@DaveChomi just wanted to check what happens when busy on busy has been turned on for the organisation globally . Do we still need Presence based routing ?

Also in busy on busy the call gets disconnected or goes to VM . So in Call queues how will this affect ?

@LakshAnitha 

It depends on routing strategy that you use. You do not want to have calls failing on agents because of busy on busy. Imagine that you switch off presence based routing, you enable busy on busy and you will use serial routing. Call queue will skip presence check hence the call will fail because it will be offered to agent. Is this required behavior? I do not believe :) 

So presence based routing definitely makes sense even with busy on busy enabled globally.  

@DaveChomiThanks for your reply. That is what I thought would be the behavior.

But what I thought was we need to turn off the busy on busy for the Call queue participants though presence based routing is turned ON .  

@DaveChomiCloud you clarify a bit more? If Busy on Busy is enabled, but no Presence based, no conference mode, then the call queue will skip agents who are in a call, but not the ones with other status such as away or presenting? Is this correct? 

Thank you! 

Calls won't fail when busy on busy is on. They just skip the agent and go to the next.
Hi, I Tryed presence based routing but if the agent has a meeting scheduled or anything Their schedule, the agent is excluded front the routing list, This is a big problem.
We've got a Microsoft Teams Call Queue for SBS Direct Services. This uses a presence-based routing meaning, the three agents should only get calls if they are available "green". However, the agents report that they sometimes get new calls even though they are already in another call. That happens not often - approximately during every tenth call. All three agents experience that behavior.
Any thoughts and resolution?

@Srinitr I would expect that these other calls are not coming from the call queue.

Is there any settings we can check and modify to change this behaviour? The agents are defined by a channel in a team. Not by a group nor by selecting agents individually

@Srinitr 

Anyone figure out a solution yet? We have just implemented Teams calling and we have multiple call queues set up. We have queues that when a call comes in, an agent answers, they continue to get calls which is very distracting.. We've enabled presence based routing, had them set to DND, etc, etc. nothing seems to change this behavior. Our end users are very frustrated. Also this does not happen on all call queues, just a few of them. Ideas?

@cslack13 No. Not yet.

But, the customer is not using as of now. 

@DaveChomi Hi,

I'm not sure if this problem has been re-introduced with updates.  But users who's presence is set to out of office still get calls coming through if they are in a call queue.  Presence-based routing is set to "on".

Anyone else had this issue?

FYI, do not disturb and away will skip that person in the queue.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Chaserz31 Presence based routing will not offer the call to the agent who is opt in to the queue and is busy with another call, away, dnd, focusing state or busy by setting this as status. 

Your statement is bit confusing for people who does not have full picture. 

"Presence-based routing uses the availability status of call agents to determine whether an agent should be included in the call routing list for the selected routing method. Call agents whose availability status is set to Available are included in the call routing list and can receive calls. Agents whose availability status is set to any other status are excluded from the call routing list and won't receive calls until their availability status changes back to Available." 

Really lot has changed in comparison to 2019 feature set. 
I personally have tested presence based routing and can confirm that this is working as desired so not sure if you have different experience or your statement is based on assumption. 

I can only confirm that Microsoft documentation is false in statement that presence based routing can be enabled on all routing methods because on Longest Idle methods this feature is not possible now to be even enabled. On the Attendant Routing it is possible. 

View solution in original post