Call Queues and Auto attendants

Iron Contributor

Hi, I have a few different posts but wanted to create a new one for this.  We are trying to figure out if we need to use call queues and auto attendants for what we need.

Basically, our main office# is tied to a user account with a phone system license, and we are trying to set it up so that when someone calls our main #, and reception doesn't pick it up, it forwards to a call group after 10 seconds, and then if no one picks up, then go to voicemail.  I see no way to do this in the user's desktop client.  I do see a way to ring call group and reception at the SAME TIME and then go to voicemail, but that doesn't work as the users in the call group obviously get annoyed getting all of reception's calls.

Secondly, calls going to the reception line are also going to the call group after hours on their mobile phones since they are logged into Teams there as well, another annoyance.  I think there are ways to mute this in some way in the mobile Teams client but its such a pain.

Few considerations:

Reception HAS to be able to pick up calls when it rings...the outside caller should not need to press 1 for Sales, 2 for IT, or 0 for operator or anything; calls should go directly to reception. 

We would like the business hours for the call group etc. to be between 7am-7pm EST, and then all calls outside these hours go directly to a voicemail (reception or otherwise but should be an email as well if possible).

How do we handle this? Thanks.

14 Replies

You can set the reception account like this:

clipboard_image_0.png

It will ring on the reception phone for 10 seconds and if unanswered it will ring on the Call group.

For the second problem I would recommend you setup a Call Queue with opening hours for the main number instead.

@Linus Cansby 

Thanks, but with that option there is no way to leave a voicemail if the call group doesn't pick up.

Can I do call queues even with call groups? Would it forward directly to VM after-hours?

With call groups it will go to Voicemail after ~20 seconds.

But the best option for you is to setup a Call Queue with the reception account as an agent, set opening hours and set time out to another call queue that your other users are agents in. That will be the easiest for end users and easiest to manage.

@Linus Cansby 

Hey, would love your help on this...sent you a PM

In the meantime:

1 ) Are you saying in the below config it will eventually get to VM after 20 seconds?

clipboard_image_0.png

2) How do I set the reception account as an agent? Right now our main# is tied directly to a user phone, and the phone# is assigned to that user (reception).  

1. Yes, actually 30 seconds before connected to VM. 10 seconds on the reception phone first and then about 20 seconds calling the group.

2. Re-assign the number to a Call Queue and set another number for the reception account.

@Linus Cansby 

Thanks, not sure if you got my PM or not...but could you paste some screenshots of what the settings should look like in auto attendant and call queues? Again, between 7pm and 7am calls to the main# should go straight to VM.

Auto Attendant with Opening hours sends calls to Call Queue 1. After hours send calls to reception account (option to send direct to voicemail is coming).

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_0.png

In Call Queue 1 add reception account as an agent

clipboard_image_2.png

and time out to Call queue 2

clipboard_image_3.png

In Call Queue 2 add all other users and time out to reception account (should go to voicemail)

clipboard_image_4.png

clipboard_image_5.png

There are multiple thirdparty tools for call center applications using the Calling API that can help you if you need something more advanced. You might not get exactly what you want with the native tools in Teams, sometimes you have to adopt to what is possible in the product.

@Linus Cansby 

Last questions...for today:

1) One thing I am confused about in Auto Attendant, is how does it know which the main# is? Or will that be determined by me adding the reception account in Call Group 1?

2) I setup the call groups first and then the auto attendant correct? (First CallGroup 2, then 1...then Auto Attendant)?

3) On the first page of the autoattendant setup, I leave the Operator field blank correct? This way the external caller doesn't get any prompts or anything?

4) Is the reception account and/or phone# supposed to be a resource account? Do I need resource accounts in this scenario?

5) In call group 2, can't I just add a group instead of 'other users' and have it set to attendant routing so it rings them all at once? What info will they see when the call comes in / forwards from reception? Right now they see 'forwarded by reception' at least.

6) I know the call groups 1 and 2 need resource accounts but does auto attendants need one as well?

UPDATE:

Question.....if I have AutoAttendant handle the vacation schedule and business hours and redirect call to CallGroup1, why do I need a callgroup2? If the receptionist is in callgroup1, can't the teams client handle the rest of it (also ring callgroup, which is defined in the Teams desktop client)? And then it does eventually go to voicemail?

Will this not be sufficient? And this way the vacation schedule and work hours and still set for this #?

Thanks so much.

@Linus Cansby 

UPDATE: 

I set it up as per the below with screenshots and it isn't working as expected.  I set my # (pretending to be receptionist) as the main# in CQ1....but when someone calls my # it doesn't flow to CQ2 (where it rings other users), and it doesn't send the call to someone else's VM as defined

clipboard_image_0.png

CQ1

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

CQ 2

clipboard_image_3.png

clipboard_image_5.png

Auto Attendants

clipboard_image_6.png

clipboard_image_7.png

clipboard_image_8.png

clipboard_image_9.png

clipboard_image_10.png

@reditguy Is the call disconnected or what happens when calls to Q1 times out?

What happens when you call Q2 directly?

@Linus Cansby 

When I call my # it goes straight to MY voicemail...not the one I put in the settings.  Doesn't looks like it ever goes to CQ2.  

How do I call Cq2 directly? Should I be assigning actual #s and licenses to CQ1, CQ2, and auto attendant? If so, how and which ones?

Get a new service number when you are testing and don't reuse numbers. 

For service numbers you don't need any extra licenses, but for numbers via Direct Routing you need to assign a Virtual Phone license.

@Linus Cansby 

How would that work? We eventually would need to use our main office # right? If it works I would simply swap out my # for the receptionist's # in Call Group 1 User field.

And we don't need Direct Routing....thanks.

Yes, eventually you have to use your main number for the Auto attendant. But instead of using your number and not getting it to work you should assign a new service number while testing.