Home

Best Practice for sending customers files from within Teams?

Todd Purifoy
Contributor

We have monthly reports that we must send to clients.  Today those reports are on a network share.  So one of our Team Leads will create an email that explains the analytics to a customer, and then drag and drop two or three reports from the file share related to their customer data.

We would like to move those files to a Team.  But we cannot seem to find the easiest way to grab and send multiple files to a customer in that scenario.  So the Team has been saving the file to their desktop, then attaching them to an email, and then deleting them.  Obviously, that isn't a very good experience and adding several steps to an otherwise quick process.

So what is the suggested way to send attachments when the files to be sent live in Teams?

Sending them a link doesn't really get them to the desired result as the clients themselves expect actual Excel Files that they can then mange in whatever their normal processes are.

Thoughts?

7 Replies

are the clients, internal or external?

Why are the files kept on a network share? Is there a reason that they are not in a SharePoint site?

Are your files one to one relationship to the customer your sending too? Like is each file related to that person or could one of those files be shared with multiple people? Might look into using folders, or maybe even leveraging metadata for your documents, then latch flows to send them out in packages and have the e-mail automated all together that way.
I would recommend you to explore what flow can provide you in this scenario :)

The reason that they are on a Network Share today is because I have been here for two weeks.  ha

This is how these guys work.  I came in, and have been moving them to Teams.  Even if the files are in SharePoint, the same scenario happens.  They cannot simply drag files to an email and send it. 

So as I try to move them away from File Shares, I am actually ADDING steps to their processes, and that doesn't sound appealing to them.  Thus, they say, "Why can't we just keep doing what we have always done?"

Interesting idea.  I will take a look at that.  I certainly want to automate whatever I can.  The reports are sent specifically

@Christopher Webb wrote:
Are your files one to one relationship to the customer your sending too? Like is each file related to that person or could one of those files be shared with multiple people? Might look into using folders, or maybe even leveraging metadata for your documents, then latch flows to send them out in packages and have the e-mail automated all together that way.

for each client, so they are one-one.  None of them would be shared data or sent to multiple clients.

If a user has recently edited the file from within Excel, it should show up on the recent items list in outlook, available via the attach file button in the ribbon. If it hasn't been recently modified, another options is attach file --> Browse web location --> Group Files --> select the group/team. This is simple, but only allows users to select one file at a time.

Another option is to use the Outlook web client. Similar process as above, attach a file and select group files. The web client allows you to select multiple files at once. Though, they will be attached as links, not actual attachments. This can be modified, but the user would have to set each file to be sent as an attachment, one at a time.

Another option is to navigate to the library (in SharePoint, not the teams app), and sync the library. Users could then easily select multiple files to attach via standard windows explorer methods. (attach file --> browse this pc). This method allows multiple files and will attach the files by default. 

Yeah if you wanted to replicate their existing function you could use onedrive client and sync as above, depending on how many files are in this library thou that might not be a good idea unless all the clients are up to date with windows 10 and can enable files on demand. That would give you the closest experience to what they have now. Instead of selecting a network drive, they select their "Org - Sites" folder and then navigate to the Team > Files.

Flow can be fancy option.

The other two options Michael gave work, but require many clicks.
Related Conversations
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
22 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser
HotCakeX in Discussions on
35 Replies
flashing a white screen while open new tab
cntvertex in Discussions on
13 Replies
How to Prevent Teams from Auto-Launch
chenrylee in Microsoft Teams on