SOLVED
Home

Background Blur - what are minimum requirements?

David Y
New Contributor

Background Blur - what are minimum requirements?

I see that Background Blur in Teams meetings should be available from yesterday (24 September 2018). However I can't get that option to appear in meetings - I just get an ordinary webcam.

I've used the option in the Teams app to check for Updates but it says I'm on the latest version already.

Are there some minimum requirements for this feature which perhaps I'm not meeting? (And if so, are they published?)

I'm using Win10 1803, on a laptop which is a few years old and not the fastest, but has plenty of RAM. I'm also using the Free version of Teams, if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help,

David

12 Replies

Re: Background Blur - what are minimum requirements?

Hi David,

How are you today?

This feature is client-only-enabled that acquires an Office 365 subscription. In fact some features of the tool is not available for those who made the registration free.

I checked the roadmap and for now on there is a preview to launch this feature in the free tool.

regards,
Solution

In regards of the requirements for this feature, check this post in the Office 365 for IT Pros web site: https://office365foritpros.com/2018/09/25/background-blur-teams-meetings/

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
In regards of the requirements for this feature, check this post in the Office 365 for IT Pros web site: https://office365foritpros.com/2018/09/25/background-blur-teams-meetings/

Thanks. I guess this part is the explanation:

However, the technology to perform face recognition to identify the person and understand where the background to be blurred begins and ends only runs on reasonably recent PC equipped with Advanced Vector Extension 2 (AVX2) graphics.... AVX2 is supported by PCs that have a post-Haswell chipset.

Incidentally I have seen posts elsewhere from people with Blur working who are also on Teams Free, so I don't think that's a limitation.

This link explains that background blur works for scheduled meetings only.

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/blur-your-background-in-a-teams-meeting-f77a2381-443a-499d-

@Ronald Ephard, it will work in 1:1 calls and ad-hoc meetings as well.

It’s just not deployed to everyone yet. We just have to wait.

Interestingly - the option doesn't appear in my Teams calls - I run a Surface Laptop and a Microsoft LifeCam Studio, and a colleague on the same Teams tenant has it working fine. I also tried the inbuilt camera on the Surface Laptop and it also doesn't work.

I am sure my laptop supports AVX2 and clearly the Teams tenant does - so I'm not sure why it doesn't appear as an option?

Try logging in and out of Teams, in some cases this is needed for it to re-evaluate if background blur can be enabled. 

Had one user where the choice was missing from the menu but where it showed up after using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Shift+P once. Don't ask why... :) 

I'm using the paid version of Teams on a Surface Book.  I've checked for Updates in Teams and Exited and restarted it.  I still don't see the option in the menu and CTRL+SHIFT+P does nothing.

Thanks Steven. I followed your advice and the background blur button appeared.

Related Conversations