Home

Archiving and Compliance

Mark Rubin
Occasional Visitor

Archiving and Compliance

I understand that Team will archive all conversations.  How long will it store them?  Where will they be stored?  Can they be extracted and saved elsewhere?  Are there tools for searching them across the entire company?  We are a financial services company and have requirements to keep all conversations.

Thank you,

Mark

27 Replies

Re: Archiving and Compliance

Can we get a response on this? We would like to start using Teams company wide but without knowing more about retention and archiving capabilities we can't start.

Retention and archiving are not ready yet and the team has not disclosed what they are doing here...bear also in mind that even for Office 365 Groups this is still not ready and Teams are built on top of Groups...

As of now, Microsoft Teams retains all messages.  Microsoft Teams retains deleted messages for at least 7 days and at most 30 days before messages are permanently deleted.  However, there is no support yet for retaining edit and deletion logs for messages.

Also, we have plans for the future to support data retetion, and archival of Teams data as part of the Information Protection Roadmap. Stay Tuned! 

Thanks,

Ansuman Acharya

Does anyone have anything new based on MS Teams data retention and policy settings.  Its been awhile and looking for anything published that can be leveraged that metions it.   Thanks.

hi All,

As of GA (actually slightly earlier) we enabled the below features for all Microsoft Teams data in the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center:

Audit Logs

eDiscovery, Compliance Content Search, Legal Holds (in place as well as Litigation holds)

Archiving

Conditional Access based on EXO and SPO

Intune based MAM (with and without MDM)

Exchange Online Protection for email a channel feature.

Please read more about it here in the GA announcment: https://blogs.office.com/2017/03/14/microsoft-teams-rolls-out-to-office-365-customers-worldwide/

And for details, please search support.office.com with the above keywords and Microsoft Teams.

Please also review documents here: https://www.successwithteams.com/ (download the word doc and PPT and see security/compliance sections)

Happy to help,

Ansuman Acharya,

Microsoft Teams | Security and Compliance

Retention Policies and DLP are coming soon too, for Microsoft Teams ...

Thanks. The docs dont really explain the detail of how the preservation or hold policies should be applied. Any specific advice (how to) to ensure all content is covered? Thanks.

Ansuman Acharya wrote:
Retention Policies and DLP are coming soon too, for Microsoft Teams ...

Any progress around this that you could share.?  Especially with Retention.

Is it possible to journal messages that teams stores in the exchange mailbox of the user? I would like to email them to smarsh (A compliance solution)... Also, if not what are the options for getting these into an external compliance solution?

Thanks,

Bill

We would like to journal all Microsoft Teams messages too, to send them to Global Relay. Is that possible?

We need to journal all Microsoft Teams chats and other messages to Global Relay. We already journal our Exchange messages and we need to do the same for Microsoft Teams before we can deploy it to our users. This is a compliance requirement. Would you be able to implement that?

Did you ever get an answer to this? We had to disable and block teams in our environment because no one could answer how to do anything resembling compliance archiving to Smarsh or GlobalRelay

Have you been able to get the official comments from Microsoft folks? This seemed to have been a quite while.

Hi @Ansuman Acharya,

Could you please point more specific document (or links) on this? I tried to following your links posted here, but I couldn't find answers to questions posted in this thread.

I am specifically interested in this:

We need to journal all Microsoft Teams chats and other messages to Global Relay. We already journal our Exchange messages and we need to do the same for Microsoft Teams before we can deploy it to our users. This is a compliance requirement. Would you be able to implement that?

I checked also another thread (Microsoft Teams AMA - Team Archiving), but could find the clue.

If it is not yet implemented, do you have an ETA for this?

Thanks

No, I have not. If you find out anything, please post here. We are still having the same issue.

RE: Archiving and Compliance

The compliance and policy portal for Office 365 is coming. This will include tenant based retention policy settings for the content within chat for Teams. Take a look at the Ignite session on Teams Security and Compliance for further detail and the specifics of how this is managed within Office 365.

Hello,

I watched the Ignite 2017 session on Teams security and learned:

- Chats are stored in a hidden folder in the Exchange mailbox of the participants of the chat.

- Team messages are stored in the Modern Group mailbox.

- Shared documents are stored in the Group SharePoint/OneDrive site.

To put a hold (or search in the compliance center) on something you would put a hold on either the user mailbox or the group mailbox (or both).

So basically, if you turn on the retention policies for SharePoint, OneDrive and Exchange in the O365 compliance center then you will be preserving all of the content for Teams.

Have fun!

Matt

Setting of retention to purge after a certain period is not available yet. This was mentioned at Ignite that will be by year end. 1:1 chats stores in the mailbox in a hidden folder that from testing do not get removed through the current policies.

We are hoping that the enablement comes soon. What was demonstrated at ignited showed in Compliance and Security a dedicated section for Teams - the ability to apply rentention separately to chats and conversations. This is what we are hoping to see very soon.

For 1:1 or Group chats Do we know if it stores ALL chats including ones that may have been deleted by the user?

That I understand. 1:1 are stored in both user mailboxes. Group conversations are stored in the group mailbox.

Any updates on when this might start working? It's been over a year!

Agreed it is absolutely and totally ridiculous. It has prevented us from rolling out Teams and delayed our 365 initiative. It should be loggable to smash like exchange, Skype for business and all the rest. Why is this totally getting ignored. It seems like such an easy problem to solve. Very disappointed in Microsoft over this.

Bill and Mike, 

What are you very disappointed over? .. sorry, I am not following the thread. I just got a notification and I just want to clarify the following (you may already know this): 

- we already provide eDiscovery, Legal Hold, Archiving, Compliance Content Search for Teams content by journaling thru to EXO (user and group mailboxes)

- Retention Policies thru SCC is coming soon... Official date is by end of Q1 of CY2018

Are you looking for APIs to extract content outside office 365? ... Please educate me about Smash

In the financial sector as well as many other industries that have compliance and retention requirements or that are governed by SEC/FINRA/CFTC that have regulatory requirements and also have review requirements all communications must be journaled to a external service for retention and for review (Often you are required to review a certain percentage of trader communications and also scan for key works and other methods to ensure insider trading and other types of bad activity are not happening). Smarsh and GlobalRelay are the largest providers that have services that can meet these requirements. Exchange, Lync, Skype For Business, Slack, HipChat, Rocket.Chat and a slew of others can do it, it can be done as simply as journaling via smtp or direct integration. Teams has no way to do this and thus is nearly unusable in this space.  http://www.smarsh.com/im-archiving - compliance facilities have been promised for Teams since last year and I can see no evidence of this hitting the roadmap.

Thanks,

Bill

I read the Journaling Teams thread and these conclusions are spot on for Financial Services.  Perhaps the most confusing (that's the nicest word I could muster) aspect of O365 is that forum posts are how knowledge is disseminated.

Related Conversations
Remove a Sharepoint Site on Preservation Hold
Matt McNabb  in  Office 365  on
12 Replies
New Retention Policies
7 Replies
Office 365 ADA Compliance
2 Replies
Online archive of mailbox
James Draper  in  Office 365  on