SOLVED
Home

Adding external users to teams

Highlighted
Catherine CHAZELAS
Occasional Contributor

Adding external users to teams

Dear All

Microsoft announced last week that now we can add external users to Teams. Thank you it works! The only problem is that prior to this you have to add the guest to Azure. The process is heavy. Has Microsoft planned to optimise this process? thanks 

23 Replies

Re: Adding external users to teams

No, I have not experienced this. I add the user to a Team, they get the invite, accept it and sign in. Yes Azure is used in the background, but a user/admin does not need to do anything in Azure AD. Where have you experienced this?

IT has to create the external users in our Office 365 tenant, in the "Guest users" section...

they should not have to do that, it sounds like you may not have Guest Users enabled for the Teams app in the O365 Admin Center

Maybe the feature rollout isn’t 100 % complete?

I saw similar behaviour last weekend and the day after it worked as expected.

I was allowed to invite guests with consumer mail like Gmail, but when users accepted the invitation the were sent to Azure AD B2B like a guest with an Azure AD account, not to MSA creation. Then when trying to log on they got a message saying they weren’t licensed.

Removed Azure AD object and tried the next day, guests were sent to and went through MSA creation process and were able to log on.

Here is what is done automatically in Azure AD

Also this is what the new text looks like when adding a member to a team.  In the past it used to say users much be Azure AD etc etc.

Solution

We are still - not so - patiently waiting for the switch to be flipped in our organization.  MS did indicate rollout would be completed by EOM March.

Yep, as advised here the process of adding MSA users in Teams as guest users should not have such performance problems commented here.

Guest access for all is as of today 100% rolled out to all tenants. Still have issues?

Dear Magnus,

No thank you for the info, we do not have issue anymore.

Where in Azure do we add external members for Team, or update the app to allow for guest users?

You do it via Microsoft Teams app and just add another person to the Team, that can be internal or external.

I have tried this simple approach...just moments ago.  When I type in a non domain email, the app does not respond.

1.  do i need to do something in azure?

2.  is my instance broken?

3.  does it have to be a domain email?  As I can enter a domain email address with no problem?

Have you enabled it in the Office Admin portal. Head to Settings > Services and Add-ins > Microsoft Teams

Then select Guest within the drop down for Settings by user/license type and make sure it’s turned on.

Yes I have confirmed the enablement in services-add in-teams

the team was created before the changes, so I am going to delete the team, since I have no teammates, and recreate.  See if that helps.

I even did the azure changes from another post...nothing.

You could also see the settings if you have the new portal. https://admin.teams.microsoft.com/company-wide-settings/external-communications

1. There is nothing to do in Azure (only if you want nice display names).
2. Doubt it
3. No need to be a domain email. I’ve added my outlook.com address to a Team for testing.

then my portal is broken for Teams...as it just won't work...have to contact support I guess

Still experiencing difficulties.

Guest access works for (Gmail) accounts that are already a guest through B2B.

Inviting guests through the Teams interface is not working, it just states the user could not be found instead of "invite blabla@gmail.com as a guest".

I followed the checklist at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/guest-access-checklist but no luck.

We are having the same issue. Not able to add a guest with email. All settings appear to be correct. The add members text doesn't say we can add using email addresses. Teams is useless to us otherwise.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

@Jeff Nelson

did you push this setting on ...

Capture.PNG

I had the same issue at one of my customers. All settings were confirmed to be applied correctly. The functionality had previously been working, no changes were made, but it stopped working last week.

I went to Office 365Admin center >> Settings >> Services & add-ins >> Office 365 Groups
Then set "Let group owners add people outside the organization to groups" to OFF, waited a few minutes, and set it back to ON again. Then the functionality was restored. It works as expected now.

Related Conversations
Report on users with MFA Enabled
Damon Betlow in Azure Active Directory on
15 Replies
Azure AD Connect on a DC
Glenn V in Azure Active Directory on
15 Replies
AAD Basic license for EDU
bart vermeersch in Azure Active Directory on
2 Replies
ADFS vs Azure AD for SSO
Neil Manley in Azure Active Directory on