SOLVED
Home

Adding external users to teams

Highlighted
Catherine CHAZELAS
Occasional Contributor

Adding external users to teams

Dear All

Microsoft announced last week that now we can add external users to Teams. Thank you it works! The only problem is that prior to this you have to add the guest to Azure. The process is heavy. Has Microsoft planned to optimise this process? thanks 

33 Replies

Re: Adding external users to teams

No, I have not experienced this. I add the user to a Team, they get the invite, accept it and sign in. Yes Azure is used in the background, but a user/admin does not need to do anything in Azure AD. Where have you experienced this?

IT has to create the external users in our Office 365 tenant, in the "Guest users" section...

they should not have to do that, it sounds like you may not have Guest Users enabled for the Teams app in the O365 Admin Center

Maybe the feature rollout isn’t 100 % complete?

I saw similar behaviour last weekend and the day after it worked as expected.

I was allowed to invite guests with consumer mail like Gmail, but when users accepted the invitation the were sent to Azure AD B2B like a guest with an Azure AD account, not to MSA creation. Then when trying to log on they got a message saying they weren’t licensed.

Removed Azure AD object and tried the next day, guests were sent to and went through MSA creation process and were able to log on.

Here is what is done automatically in Azure AD

Also this is what the new text looks like when adding a member to a team.  In the past it used to say users much be Azure AD etc etc.

Solution

We are still - not so - patiently waiting for the switch to be flipped in our organization.  MS did indicate rollout would be completed by EOM March.

Yep, as advised here the process of adding MSA users in Teams as guest users should not have such performance problems commented here.

Guest access for all is as of today 100% rolled out to all tenants. Still have issues?

Dear Magnus,

No thank you for the info, we do not have issue anymore.

Where in Azure do we add external members for Team, or update the app to allow for guest users?

You do it via Microsoft Teams app and just add another person to the Team, that can be internal or external.

I have tried this simple approach...just moments ago.  When I type in a non domain email, the app does not respond.

1.  do i need to do something in azure?

2.  is my instance broken?

3.  does it have to be a domain email?  As I can enter a domain email address with no problem?

Have you enabled it in the Office Admin portal. Head to Settings > Services and Add-ins > Microsoft Teams

Then select Guest within the drop down for Settings by user/license type and make sure it’s turned on.

Yes I have confirmed the enablement in services-add in-teams

the team was created before the changes, so I am going to delete the team, since I have no teammates, and recreate.  See if that helps.

I even did the azure changes from another post...nothing.

You could also see the settings if you have the new portal. https://admin.teams.microsoft.com/company-wide-settings/external-communications

1. There is nothing to do in Azure (only if you want nice display names).
2. Doubt it
3. No need to be a domain email. I’ve added my outlook.com address to a Team for testing.

then my portal is broken for Teams...as it just won't work...have to contact support I guess

Still experiencing difficulties.

Guest access works for (Gmail) accounts that are already a guest through B2B.

Inviting guests through the Teams interface is not working, it just states the user could not be found instead of "invite blabla@gmail.com as a guest".

I followed the checklist at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/guest-access-checklist but no luck.

We are having the same issue. Not able to add a guest with email. All settings appear to be correct. The add members text doesn't say we can add using email addresses. Teams is useless to us otherwise.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

@Jeff Nelson

did you push this setting on ...

Capture.PNG

I had the same issue at one of my customers. All settings were confirmed to be applied correctly. The functionality had previously been working, no changes were made, but it stopped working last week.

I went to Office 365Admin center >> Settings >> Services & add-ins >> Office 365 Groups
Then set "Let group owners add people outside the organization to groups" to OFF, waited a few minutes, and set it back to ON again. Then the functionality was restored. It works as expected now.

Has this been resolved? Going through a lot of the replies and it still seems it works for some, not for others. For my org, we made sure "guest" was enabled in Teams. Then you see a note saying some of the tools moved. There are only like less than 20 options you can configure for Teams, so what gives? With Guest enabled, and I try to type in an email address that isn't part of our org, and it doesn't even resolve. My co-workers and I show up in the list no problem. When I go to Teams from IE, I don't get any errors about Teams not being enabled, but when I try to use the token method and I give that token code to an external user to try, it says "You're Missing out! Ask your admin to enable ....." but it is enabled cause I'm on it???

It simply does not work.

All external access settings within admin portal (teams and gropus) are enabled - but external user, which is mail user i AD can not start team site, to which it has been added. There is pop up stating - "You're missing out! Ask your admin to enable Microsoft Teams for xxx".

The same applies to groups - I am enabled to enter OneNote Notebook of the group and files, but unable to see conversation nor send any mail to group. The pop up from group states - "We couldn't find a mailbox for this recipient. Either they don't have a mailbox or don't have a license assigned".

Please do help with resolving this issue. I hava O365 Business Premium. Guest mailbox is hosted on outlook.com servers.

Afghan Salon

@Afghan Salon

I use it everyday without issue. Could you describe your problems in Teams more completely please?

In terms of Office 365 Groups, you are getting what would be expected as far as I can tell, a guest in a group can't access the conversations in the group, they become a member of the DL so would look in their own email to see the conversations. You aren't giving them an email service in your tenant, just adding them as a member of the groups DL.

Actually, I was able to resolve my issue. So it was a Team that my manager setup. I didn't realize he set the Team to private vs. public. And that happens right when you setup the Team. You can't change it after the fact apparently. So I do appreciate you getting back to me. I should have stated the problem was resolved.

The Group owners can change it from Private to Public

That's odd. The Microsoft rep I was working with said you couldn't. And when I tried to see if I could in my own test team, I didn't see an option for it. I will double check.

J

@Steven Collier

As regarding access for external users issues in both Office365 Groups and Teams - this looks by my tenant as follows:

SCENARIO I - external user (ex. @outlook.com or @gmail.com etc.) hasn't been present in my Azure Active Directory (AAD) before

When I add an external user, that is not present in my AAD (complete absence), as a guest to the group (I do it from within my Group site), then that user appears both:

1) in Exchange Admin Center (EAC) as "guest mail-user"

This category of recipient can not be created independently from within EAC as there is only possibility to create "mail-contact" or "mail-user". Therefore I assume that is another type of recipient that is being pulled into EAC from AAD, but can not be created or modified (ex. change of name) in EAC. Some data may be modified from Office 365 Admin>Users.

2)and in AAD as "guest".

That user gets not an inviation, but rather declaration: "You've joined the AAA group". 

There are two icons "Email with ease"" and "Read group files". As I click "Email with ease" am instantly redirected to new mail creation within my mail client. As I click "Read group files" am redirected to Office365 group site.

I can not enter "conversations tab" as pop up appears - informing that I should refer to my mailbox to get mails from the group. In case I lost my invitation mail - I would have no idea as what is the mail of the group, because it does not appear anywhere on group site.

This user has no problems to start Teams, but is not present in my Global Address List (GAL) within Outlook.

There are some errors as sometimes I am able to assign licenses to those "guest mail users". Certainly these are errors.

SCENARIO II - external user (ex. @outlook.com or @gmail.com etc.) that is already present in my AAD directory as mail-user.

I add new user as "mail-user" in EAC (as I wanted to have these users be already authenticated for sharing ppurposes). At that time this user is being registered in AAD as "Member".

That user gets not an inviation, but rather declaration: "XXX XXX added you to the AAA group". 

There are two icons "Share notes" and "Check out the team site". As I click "Share notes" am redirected to the Notebook of the group - works fine. As I click "Check out the team site" am redirected to Office365 group site.

I can not enter "conversations tab" as pop up appears - stateing I have no mailbox license. In case I lost my invitation mail - I would have no idea as what is the mail of the group, because it does not appear anywhere on group site. What is more - I am unable to send any mails to that group - as I get postmaster reply stating: " The group AAA isn't set up to receive messages from BBB" ).

This user has problems to start Teams - pop up appears stating that the administrator should turn team for my domain on.

This user is present in my Global Address List (GAL) within Outlook.

This "mail-user" may be assigned license for Office365 without any problems.

Please take a look at this post to: "mail contacts" vs "guest mail user" and this UserVoice voting

Afghan Salon

@Steven Collier

I replied to You via private message, as my post has been marked as spam :(((.

Thanks. Our system has an automatic spam filter. Every weekday, our team manually goes through the spam quarantine and moves messages out of it that don't belong. I've unmarked your post as spam.

Microsoft allows you to add external guests, but you don't get granular controls to restrict which channels they have access to.   I’ve come up with a workable solution for the Channels permissions issue. It’s a bit of round-about solution, but it works just fine until MS has something more permanent.  I wrote a how-to guide in an article with screenshots.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/microsoft-teams-restricting-channel-permissions-levar-chan-williams/

Related Conversations
Report on users with MFA Enabled
Damon Betlow in Azure Active Directory on
16 Replies
Azure AD Connect on a DC
Glenn V in Azure Active Directory on
15 Replies
ADFS vs Azure AD for SSO
Neil Manley in Azure Active Directory on
8 Replies
Azure Active Directory and ADFS
Augustine Chua in Azure Active Directory on