Accessing from Teams to Exchange OnPrem environment

Microsoft

Hi,

I have an exch 2016 onprem enviroment, and I would like to check Exchange functionality with Teams (Calendar, meetings, etc). Taking into Account that Teams is on cloud and Exchange is onprem,  is it needed to hybrid Exchange? or only Teams? can Exchange be consulted by Teams through WAP servers via EWS? or is it needed to create a fully hybrid Exchange environment (with Edge servers, for example)?

Thanks!

Regards,

Maruxa

4 Replies
Hi! You need a hybrid setup, but mailboxes can be both on premises or in the cloud!

Please read this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/exchange-teams-interact

Adam

Hi @adam deltinger,

Thanks for your quick answer, I had already that link, but it doesn't specifically say that you have to fully hybrid  Exchange, and also says: "To let Microsoft Teams work with Exchange on-premises, you must configure the new Exchange OAuth authentication protocol as described in Configure OAuth authentication between Exchange and Exchange Online organizations."   but checking the link only appears for Exch 2013 (i figure it will also work for Exch2016).

My question is more related to HW needs, if Exchange info can be recovered through EWS via WAP, maybe I don't need to buy EDGE servers (at the end this is only for SMTP mail Flow). Is it possible to use Teams/Exchange that way?

I coulnd't find this scenario anywhere… :D

Many thaks again for your support.

Regards,

Maruxa

You don't need to setup a Exchange hybrid but you need to sync account to Azure AD.

You don't need any extra hardware for the Exchange hybrid. You can setup a hybrid without Edge servers.

True, but I’ll recommend doing this and get the most out of it