SOLVED
Home

When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?

Highlighted
James Auman
Occasional Contributor

When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?

When will desktop sharing be available in Teams? That is a big reason why we signed up for Skype for Business Online Plan 2.

47 Replies

RE: When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?

I can Share my desktop now in Teams I just did it? Maybe you mean during a meeting? I did it via the 1to1 chat call.
Solution

Re: When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?

Hi James, this is currently available if you are in a Teams Meeting and something we are currently working on the ability to share desktop during chat. No timeline to announce at the moment.  

What about requesting/granting control of a shared desktop?

Re: RE: When will desktop sharing be available in Teams?

Whatever desktop sharing options you have in Skype for Business Online, I want the same (or better) in Teams.  I think you can start sharing a desktop from any type of S4BO communication (IM, Audio Call, Video Call).  You can also choose to share an app, the whole desktop, or just a powerpoint (I think).  And you can give control to the other person.  All that! :) 

Any movement on this Holste?

@Michael Holste wrote:

Hi James, this is currently available if you are in a Teams Meeting and something we are currently working on the ability to share desktop during chat. No timeline to announce at the moment.  

This is needed in Chat right away as it's holding up adoption of Teams over Skype for Bus, please expedite this feature release.

Would be nice to see an ETA for this, thanks.

We need to be able to use desktop sharing from Teams with people who are not on Teams - as we could with Skype.  Our team uses MS Team extensively, but we also provide IT support with other educational entities and need to be able to have the same capabilities as Skype had.  Is there an ETA for this or should we go back to using Skype?

Thanks

It’s been available for months already.

If you are in a Team Meeting, but not in Chat like you can in Skype.

True but this thread is clearly focused on the more generic feature rather than that specific use case (which I also want.)

But as far as I am aware, you can only do this with people within your organization.  In Skype, you could send the invite to anyone and do a remote desktop sharing session - two ways - so either user could share their desktop.  Can you get to people outside your organization?  We don't need all the possible individuals to be a guest of our Team overall....

Yes, as long as guest is running desktop app. Sharing isn’t possible when using browser. Try it.

Wanted to echo those who say that desktop sharing & control within chat is critical in getting people to drop Skype for Teams (as we are actively trying to do in my organization)

Agreed.  Right now we have to fully support and use both Skype and Teams.  It's a little irritating.  But the sharing and collaboration helps overcome that irritation to a degree.

Ditto. Need this feature (screen sharing in chat context) now. Please expedite. Would also be create if we had a "Meet Now" button to initiate a meeting from chat and invite others. 

Just to make sure everyone is on the same page about what's available now

1. Screen sharing, giving control with dual cursors in a call or meeting

2. Anyone can join your meetings, no need for a license or a login, provided they install the Teams desktop app (mac or PC) they can share their screen, control other screens etc.

3. If you invite guests into your teams they can join meeting or have 1:1 calls with screen sharing

Coming soon will be

4. Escalate from a 1:1 call into a meeting with additional participants

I think the message that's being requested here is to be able to screensharing without having an audio/video part of the meeting. Its here in Uservoice ...

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16936774-enable-screen-sharing...

.. on the backlog means the product group accept this is something to add, but as yet it's not part of a schedule. I think as we get to the middle of the year and the current published roadmap is completed they will start planning, building and delivering features like this.

That's cool. Just be aware that our adoption of Teams as a messaging platform (not just a SharePoint client) will be delayed until you add it. For now we'll have to keep Skype for Business.

I lead a software development team. All day, every day, we're sharing our screen with somebody. And we do not always want to start a conference call in order to share our screen. In fact, it's impossible a lot of times because we're in one call and sharing something on a chat session.

I concur with Jason, we support our users in Skype Business now by having them click the Sharescreen icon in Chat. Can't switch to Teams without this in place day one.

@Jason Brown wrote:
That's cool. Just be aware that our adoption of Teams as a messaging platform (not just a SharePoint client) will be delayed until you add it. 

I don't work for Microsoft, just another customer like you. Voting on uservoice is the best way to let the Product Team know what requests have the most support.

Hi Michael, is there update on a timeline for when we will be able to share desktop during chat? Thanks!

Agreed ...desktop sharing is NOT currently available if using the web application. I need to invite external participants to my meetings, and they often do not have local admin rights, therefore they can't install the desktop Teams app. We need screen sharing in the browser app.

@Rob Barker You don't need to be an admin to install the desktop app, you also don't need an account. Think of it both as the client and the meeting join client.

Currently there isn't a way for a purely browser based app to share a local screen, browsers don't have support for it, they all would need a client of some description.

If your IT department locks down software installation by GPO, then it doesn't matter.  You still can't install the client if you're not the Administrator. And most mature organizations lock down software installation by GPO.

@Steven Collier GoToMeeting from LogMeIn supports browser screen sharing; users can join their web app and screen share (they can share their entire desktop or specific applications), so it's not a browser limitation. I'm not sure how they technically do it (you do click "run" on something, but it isn't a download.)

Teams needs a way for web connected participants to share their screen.

The thing you run is a software download, just like the Teams client is a download. It also only supports Chrome and not Edge like Teams.

Here's GoToMeetings system requirements ...

https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/help/system-requirements-for-attendees-g2m010003

I appreciate that one feels like an app, and the other feels like a browser, however they create the same issues to many companies that don't allow users to run downloaded apps using AppLocker. Being truly browser based, like Teams, come with compromises, like needing a client to do screen sharing.

This is a catch 22 conversation.  IT departments use GPOs to block the installation of the client.  Why? Because installing software is inherently risky.  So to get around it, GoToMeeting created a Java app that runs in a JVM on your machine.  But that JVM requires JRE or JDK to be installed.  What if you don't already have it?  Java is inherently 'not super secure.'  So your IT department probably doesn't pre-load your machine with it.  So when you try to run the Java GTM app, it will say you have to install Java - which requires Admin rights or your IT department's involvement.

Anything that can take control of your camera, microphone, view your screen and webcast it requires admin rights or something that was installed with admin rights.

I'm not really super concerned with this. Why? Because I will just use Skype for business and federate with vendors.  So I'm right back where I started.  As a developer I understand the limitations.  As a customer, I don't care.  Just make it work like Skype for Business.

@Steven Collier wrote:

The thing you run is a software download, just like the Teams client is a download. It also only supports Chrome and not Edge like Teams.

Here's GoToMeetings system requirements ...

https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/help/system-requirements-for-attendees-g2m010003

I appreciate that one feels like an app, and the other feels like a browser, however they create the same issues to many companies that don't allow users to run downloaded apps using AppLocker. Being truly browser based, like Teams, come with compromises, like needing a client to do screen sharing.

@Jason Brown wrote:

Anything that can take control of your camera, microphone, view your screen and webcast it requires admin rights or something that was installed with admin rights.

This sounds logical, but specifically isn't true. Apps like Teams, and plugins like GoToMeeting run in the user context, store their code in %appdata%. No admin is required unless an organisation has taken other steps like implementing AppLocker to limit the execution of code. In my org we specifically add rules to AppLocker to allow Teams, WebEx etc to run.

So in the scenario where a user is blocked from installing by something like AppLocker, the fall back option is to use a pure browser experience. As common browsers have agreed a standard called WebRTC they can send and receive audio and video, with no plugins of other code. Teams currently supports Edge fully and Chrome (audio and receiving screens only for now) and is planning to extend this to other browsers that support WebRTC (Safari, FireFox). The rogue of the bunch is IE11, as it doesn't support WebRTC, and never will as it's not had any development for a long time now.

I think Microsoft are perhaps making a little easy to confuse people with their current offering. The summary should be in most cases, just ask your guests to use Chrome or Edge. If they can't or if they need something like screen sharing from their device, download the Teams client. It is the attendee client, just like GoToMeeting etc. also provide, as well as being the full client. 

@Steven CollierI afraid I don't really understand the technical differences; GTM works without a download, so anyone can join the meetings and do screen sharing. I'm not sure why Teams can't do that. This is a show-stopper for our organization - if participants (particularly external participants that we have no admin control over) can't join a meeting and do screen sharing, Teams becomes a non-starter for us.

@Jason BrownI'm not understanding your comments. The last sentence of your first paragraph is stating GTM won't work because it needs to install something, but my point is that you don't need to install anything - it just works for end-users joining via browser. The participants don't require local admin rights, yet they have the full functionality of screen sharing - something that I wish worked for Teams participants.

@Rob Barker that's not true, using what GoToMeeting calls their browser view they have to be using only Chrome, and then download and allow an app to run.

For Teams they need to download and allow the Teams app to run and join the meeting if they want to share their screen..

I know it feels different, in GoToMeeting you feel that you are using the browser and the app is just a helper/plugin. It does require exactly the same permissions as Teams however, so if the user could use the GoToMeeting screen sharing thingy, they could use the Teams client.

It'll depend on each org, but generally the person organising a meeting is going to be the one presenting content, in which case for a guest to receive audio and screensharing in both Teams and GoToMeeting all they need is to use the Chrome browser (or Edge for Teams).

@Steven Collierit could be just semantics that are tripping me up, but GTM purports that no download is required; participants join via Chrome browser and they have the ability to screen share. 

While it is true that usually it's the host that is presenting, there are many scenarios that you would want to promote a participant to presenter status. It just works in GTM with no effort or confusion, but doesn't in Teams. I'll test it with some external folks, to see if they have no issue in downloading the Teams app, but this seems like a clunky user experience.

from GTM (the link you shared)

Join from a web browser (no download required)

Using the GoToMeeting Web App, you can join meetings entirely within your web browser (rather than installing and using the GoToMeeting desktop app). Learn more.

@Rob Barker if you click the link there about screen sharing you get ...

Capture.PNG

There are a lot of words there about 'download' and 'install'.

Thanks @Steven Collier now it makes sense - you don't require any download to join the meeting and view someone else's screen share, but there is something to install if you want share your screen. I appreciate your help!

This thread is great. In the end, we're left with using some other product to fill the gaps in Microsoft Teams.  Until those gaps are filled, adoption is likely to miss projected targets.  Take that as your problem statement, Microsoft.

Yes, you're right. It's possible to run an executable without registering/installing.  But in a lot of big companies running an executable will be stopped by policy, app locker, or whatever.  The point is, to ensure everyone can use these features, admin rights or some solution by Microsoft is required.

@Jason Brown there aren't any options for Microsoft or anyone else to be completely browser based and support sending their screen, as I show above. I suspect that this won't change, the likelihood that it's exploited by browser based malware that a company couldn't limit means it's just too big a risk.

Imagine your users going to some other site and it started collecting their screen, even with their consent, without a company lockdown.

I do think Microsoft could do a better job, they don't support video sending in Chrome today, and don't support FireFox or Safari that are also capable of WebRTC. Competitors like appear.in do this, Microsoft need to catch up. If they choose to do screensharing through this interface it'll involve a download of some component or a chrome plugin, which will then get routinely blocked by security conscious organisations.

Thanks for the details @Steven Collier. There are a few features that aren't supported by Teams in the various browsers.

• Web cam sharing - not supported in Chrome
  • Joining meetings - not supported in IE & Firefox
  • Skype Telephony - not supported in IE & Firefox

I'm not sure about Safari support - I'd need to find a Mac user in my company to test.

FYI, my co-worker tells me that Teams is not supported in Safari at all - to use any of the features you need to install the desktop client.

Hello,

It don't work from Browser...

We need to share screen from Linux OS... (No Desktop app available)

Tks

If I had to guess? Never. The request on the user voice page has been marked "on the backlog" for nearly 2 years now. I mean, they'll obviously have to implement it before killing Skype for Business, but they certainly seem in no rush.

FWIW, the current implementation does fairly well, if one just disables video and the mic when making the call. However, it can be misleading to those you're trying to share your screen with, as the other person will likely assume you're actually making a video call. One great feature is that it gives you the option share a specific window, which is nice.

If you haven't already, go here and vote on this issue. It's already got a huge amount of support, but more votes can't hurt!
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16936774-enable-screen-sharing...

To be honest, I wouldn't expect it to ever be supported in Safari. Despite being the default browser for Mac OS, it seems a huge percentage of users use something else for their default browser (probably largely because of things like this.)

Safari does an overall horrible job at following web standards. As a developer, it is a real pain to have to put in special hacks to make things work on it (things that natively work in literally every other major browser.)

(Also, ignoring that Apple being a fairly direct competitor to Microsoft (in the desktop world, at least), I could see Microsoft lacking incentive to support their browser--primarily because the vast majority of potential Teams users will be using Windows, in addition to a large suite of Microsoft products that are Windows-only. Dedicating hundreds of man-hours to cater to an uncommonly used platform wouldn't be very useful.)

Travis, Microsoft are pretty much the biggest developer of software for Apple OSX, and are regularly part of Apple's keynote presentations. I wouldn't see them as being Windows only.

There is a perfectly working version of Teams desktop app for OSX with the same capabilities as on Windows.

I know we've asked for Safari support, as well as full A/V in Chrome across platforms. It's pretty important to have wide enough compatibility to displace WebEx, LogMeIn etc. 

Ah, good to know! I suppose I've been biased, as the companies I've worked for that are heavily Microsoft dependent have all been Windows-dependent as well. Also, since I posted that, I've noticed that Teams is now opening up freely to everybody, which will probably also encourage macOS adoption.

I do maintain my prediction that Microsoft will be quite slow to provide Safari support. I'd suspect companies that do a lot of browser-based screen sharing with outside individuals will primarily stick to the well-established, purpose-built platforms, and that Teams screen sharing will mostly be used privately, with other group members. (Just an opinion, obviously.) And yes, full A/V in Chrome will be welcome to many.

Personally, I'm especially anxious to see Desktop Sharing to be implemented separately from video/voice calls within Teams. That is one of the main impediments to full adoption that my team has. While it's functional now, as one can just disable the camera and microphone, it's not very intuitive, and when people see an incoming "call", they aren't likely to realize that it's really just an attempt to screenshare.

Evaluating Teams and everything going well until we noticed that screen sharing from chat is not available.  This is a killer feature in SfB and needs to be addressed in Teams asap.   

As an office 365 account admin and teams meeting organizer I can share my desktop but our invited guests (our entire business team) cannot share their screen. We also decided to use Teams exclusively for our teams and supplier communications fully intending to share screens., We are ready to return to Zoom if this dies not happen soon. Thanks

@John Shkolnik wrote:
It’s been available for months already.

No it has not. Not for guests.

Hello.

I'm migrating from SfB to Teams...i need desktop sharing in chat...and remote control too (!)

It's too much regressive from SfB...

Please give us a dead line.

Best regards