Home

Teams private or public

Highlighted
Lee Schubert
Contributor

Teams private or public

Do we know when we can test public team groups? We've updated the privacy in Mail, but it's not changing the group in Teams. Could this be a problem with our configuration or is it that public groups will only be released later?
12 Replies

RE: Teams private or public

Can you clarify? I think you might be asking about external users (folks not in your org) - we currently do not support that during Preview but its definitely high on our list.

We really need a) public Teams for whole company or members of an AD group are automatically added. We also need Team to be discoverable and request membership. If you request membership to the o365 group and it is granted you DO NOT get access to the team. Very confusing.

Re: Teams private or public

We currently do not support public teams so changing the privacy in mail is not supported in teams. We are working on support for public teams right now.

Re: RE: Teams private or public

We are also working on surfacing a directory of teams, but do not have it currently. 

In the flow you described, requesting access from mail then getting that approved, it will reflect in teams currently with a delay of 12 hrs. We are updating this to be less than two hours right now.

No I'm talking about within our organization only. If a member is not added as a member of a Team they cannot discover it.

This is all internal. According to this article https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Make-Office-365-groups-public-or-private-c0a991b3-9c56-48b8... we can change the privacy of our group, which we successfully did. But when you open it in Teams, it's still showing as private.

Screenshot 2016-11-07 16.34.05.png

Sorry for that last reply. I missed the ordre of the comments was newest first and was commenting again on the initial comment from Paul.

I tried the same things with the same result. 

My understanding is that for this release a Team can only be associated with a Private Office 365 Group

@Lee Schubert wrote:
Do we know when we can test public team groups? We've updated the privacy in Mail, but it's not changing the group in Teams. Could this be a problem with our configuration or is it that public groups will only be released later?

I've just spent 3 years teaching my organisation to #WorkOutLoud so this counter-intuitive. But I do love the UI and UX. Do we know when public functionality will be released?

Any update on public teams availabiity?

i.e., https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public-preview/suggestions/16927024-no-way-to-cre...

It really is a problem not having this. Slack feels way more open and collaborative because of this. I think it's a key missing features .

Public teams are now rolling out.
Related Conversations
Add a member to a channel within a team
Denis Soldatenko in Microsoft Teams on
9 Replies
Announcing a Microsoft Teams AMA!
Dylan Snodgrass in Microsoft Teams AMA on
10 Replies
Adding external users to teams
Catherine CHAZELAS in Microsoft Teams on
48 Replies