SOLVED
Home

How can a Yammer Connected Office 365 Group integrate with Microsoft Teams?

Highlighted
Eric Davis
Contributor

How can a Yammer Connected Office 365 Group integrate with Microsoft Teams?

Good Afternoon, recently Yammer integrated into Office 365 Groups (long awaited), but even though Yammer is now connected to Office 365 Groups, it feels very disconnected from Microsoft Teams and all the great collaboration features that come with Microsoft teams.  Currently there seems to be no way to connect a Microsoft Team to a Office 365 Group created in Yammer (very disappointing).  When I asked this question in the Yammer AMA, there wasn't a great answer except for there will be a "connector for Yammer." 

My concern is this "connector" will result in 2 Office 365 Groups (one from Teams and one from Yammer), with 2 Modern SharePoint Team Sites and 2 different sets of files.  This honestly seems to go against the whole principle of Office 365 Groups with a single definition of the group membership that goes across all the Office 365 Services. 

Do you have any plans to have better integration between Microsoft Teams and Yammer and will there be a point where a Microsoft Team can be based on an Office 365 Group that was created in Yammer? 

• Microsoft Teams
25 Replies

Re: How can a Yammer Connected Office 365 Group integrate with Microsoft Teams?

Hi Eric - We recommend the group pick the app in which they want to collaborate and use that as their center of gravity and workspace.  

Yammer is focused on enterprise social scenarios - like a CEO Connection forum for everybody in the company. It's also how we rolled out Teams across Microsoft - we created a Yammer group to get feedback from tens of thousands of people.

Teams is focused on team collaboration - high-velocity teams, working together closely. Plus of course the separate private chat capabilities.

The recommended way to use Yammer is in fact to configure a Connector in Teams - look for posts to a particular network, or matching a particular keyword. You then get a nicely-formatted card posted to the channel in Teams, which you can then click to see in Yammer. We use this a lot - people mostly stay in Teams, and then when something relevant pops on one of the enterprise social networks, we can quickly see it.

Is this Yammer connector you're referring to available today, or is that coming in a future Microsoft Teams update?

OK, understood about the center of gravity point, but the question was... I can currently add Teams functionality to an existing Exchange-generated Group without changing the existing group. Why can't I do the same thing with a Yammer-generated Group? It actually makes more sense to do the latter for the reasons Dan points out above.
Solution

Chris, I get the request - and correct that Yammer groups are not able to activated into Teams. Something to share/vote on in UserVoice.

Hey @Dan Stevenson, the Yammer connector for Teams currently allows you to bring in conversations that have defined keywords, or conversations from specific individuals. It also feeds in announcements from a defined Yammer group. 

Why doesn't it also feed in a regular conversation from a defined Yammer group?

Yammer-Teams-Connector.jpg

Thank you for the clarification.  To all reading this thread, please vote on this feature request, otherwise I truly believe people will be confused of why they cannot connect a Microsoft team to an Office 365 Group just because it was created in Yammer.  https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18692566-create-a-microsoft-te...

Another client asked me about this as well, and I find it interesting... It assumes that people will never be interested to go and consume the Yammer feed in Yammer itself. You're trying to just replicate the entire Yammer feed in Teams, and that's certainly not what these connectors were designed for. The prompts from a connector should be just that - prompts to send you to the deeper experience.

What does annoy me is that keywords are only supported for public groups. We have a client whose primary Yammer group is private, and so this option doesn't work for them.

There might be some interesting cases for connectors that go beyond this of course... Yammer polls that show up as fully interactive polls in Teams, for instance.

No, I'd be happy with receiving a new message when a new thread is created in a Yammer group. Example, using an External Network to reach out to customers, I may want to receive a message in my Team conversation. The team can then discuss their answer using Teams, and respond in Yammer, clicking through to the full Yammer experience.
The same might be said for the Zendesk connector and tab. The goal isn't to use Zendesk within Teams. It's to notify and create conversation around tickets. Then engage directly with the ticket in the Zendesk environment.

How do you set up this connector?  Are there directions on https://support.office.com/ ?

Hi @Eric Davis.
I recorded this over Periscope just now and archived it to YouTube. (Periscope embeds aren't supported on this platform.)

Thank you for the awesome video response Darrell! It was very helpful and it will be helpful to my team as we plan how to integrated Yammer with Microsoft Teams. 

Darrell. Fantastic.

RE: How can a Yammer Connected Office 365 Group integrate with Microsoft Teams?

Kady, is there a selection process when creating a group so that the group owner can define which conversation mechanism is preferred (and not to provision the others)? (i.e. Groups Conversations vs. Yammer vs. Teams).

Re: RE: How can a Yammer Connected Office 365 Group integrate with Microsoft Teams?

In a way... It's determined by where you create the group from. If from Yammer, it's Yammer conversations. If from Outlook, it's Exchange. The odd thing is that you can add a Team to an Exchange group, but not a Yammer group. Yet, I hope :)

I agree. Voted.

I also agree.  Those that had Yammer deployed before Teams went GA and have Yammer created 0365 groups really need MS Teams to work with those private groups.  Otherwise many of us will now have a confusing amount of 0365 resources per team/department/project/committee.  For some of us we have

1. the classic SharePoint sites and subsites (subsites will not connect to 0365 groups at all per 0365 Tech Community conversations)
  2. Yammer Groups
  3. Teams
  4. mail enabled security groups 
  5. basic DLs

Microsoft please help guide us on how to move forward.

Please continue to upvote and add your voice here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18692566-create-a-microsoft-te...
The more information you can provide on your scenario, the more that helps us understand what's needed. Thank you!

This is hugely disappointing. The center of gravity should be Office 365 groups from which you connect to other services. It's a no brainer.

Hi Paul. The centre is Office 365 Groups.

• The group is the identity. The members belong to the Office 365 Group.
  • You have three choices of conversation experience - Outlook, Yammer or Microsoft Teams.
  • The services are provisioned to the group and conversation/files/information is shared between the group members. 
  • Conversation is at the centre of the other services. 
  • All three conversation experiences have provisioned for them - a Team site, Notebook, Planner, Connectors. 
  • Yammer is still yet to have the shared calendar, Power BI, Bots. 

I assume from your response that you're talking about the Outlook conversation experience when you say "Office 365 Groups." Yammer will soon make use of the shared calendar. But the conversation experience will remain as Yammer. 

Dan Stevenson wrote:
Yammer is focused on enterprise social scenarios - like a CEO Connection forum for everybody in the company. It's also how we rolled out Teams across Microsoft - we created a Yammer group to get feedback from tens of thousands of people.

Teams is focused on team collaboration - high-velocity teams, working together closely. Plus of course the separate private chat capabilities.

The recommended way to use Yammer is in fact to configure a Connector in Teams - look for posts to a particular network, or matching a particular keyword. You then get a nicely-formatted card posted to the channel in Teams, which you can then click to see in Yammer. We use this a lot - people mostly stay in Teams, and then when something relevant pops on one of the enterprise social networks, we can quickly see it.

But @Dan Stevenson wouldn't that mean that we will end up with two sets of resources/tools? One for the Teams backed by O365 Group provisioned with a team site and all. Second for the Yammer Group in-turn backed by another O365 Group provisioned with its own team site and all. And then what happens if same name is intended? Per the scenario you gave, the O365 Group + Teams are private, but Yammer Group is intended to be public, how will this work?

Am unable to wrap my head around it completely yet. 

Why so many pathways? Why can't O365 Group be the only center? Provide only ONE interface to create an O365 Group, and that's it. While creating the Group, the user should be able to choose what services/tools/resources are needed and adds those. And user should be able to refine/change those choices later as required. 

Right now as it stands, any of the tools/resources/services will create an O365 Group behind it silently. With Yammer now in the mix, there are a zillion team sites and onenotes being spawned all over the place irrespective of whether they are really required or not. And that too in couples (one for Outlook Groups and other for Yammer Groups).

This can be done better. From all the services guide the user to O365 Group creation, but that Group creation should be in control of the user and let user choose the rest of the services. Also, if the user doesn't want to connect a Yammer Group with an O365 Group, let it be. So, I can have my O365 Group provisioned with exactly the services I want and have a public Yammer Group without its own O365 Group and/or team site.

Two sets of tools with two different permission profiles:

• Yes, exactly. You have two different audiences here with two different needs:
    • A closed team running/building the thing. 
    • An open community using and providing feedback on the thing. 
  • The community may still have file sharing, etc. needs, so it has it's own set of services for that.

I tend to agree with you that a group owner should be able to turn off services that they don't want to confuse members with because they won't (shouldn't?) be used for that group.

As for a "zillion team sites, groups" being provisioned. Yes, and my partners at tyGraph have a solution for that :) See our webcast on "tyGraph for Groups." Blog post is here https://www.tygraph.com/yammer-connected-groups-backfill-now-in-progress/ 

And @Dean Swann can point you to the recording of the webinar.

Hey @chris, thanks for the link. Here is what that link leads me to:

Hi there, sorry for the bad link. Could you try this one?

https://www.tygraph.com/yammer-connected-groups-backfill-now-in-progress/

Related Conversations
Announcement: New OneDrive Admin Center Preview
Stephen Rose  in  OneDrive for Business  on
119 Replies
No Assignments Tab in Microsoft Teams
Nick Davies  in  Microsoft Teams  on
23 Replies
DL vs Group vs Yammer vs Teams
Greg Zygadlo  in  Office 365 Groups  on
20 Replies
How to connect a "Team" to a "Group"