Home

Difference between Teams and Yammer

Highlighted
Kevin Crossman
MVP

Difference between Teams and Yammer

Hi everyone. I'm a Microsoft MVP with a focus on Office 365.

One question related to Teams is what's the difference between Teams and Yammer. I have a recent blog post with some guidance.   The title is provocative (Teams and Yammer aren't actually the same).

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/yammer-microsoft-teams-exactly-same-kevin-crossman/

11 Replies

RE: Difference between Teams and Yammer

Inner vs Outer, baby! Finally cleared things up at Ignite

Re: RE: Difference between Teams and Yammer

You should definitely have a look at the ignite session, how they defined the inner and outer loop. Teams is for high velocity teamwork where you have a mutually shared outcome with people known to you. Yammer is more for connection and ideation across larger groups which may not be known to you. Question to ask... who is in the room? If people that you know- Teams; if people you may not know- Yammer. For example in Microsoft I use Teams for my marketing go-to-market; but we use Yammer for CEO connection. Check this out...https://medius.studios.ms/Embed/Video/IGNT17-BRK2147?SFYT=true

Re: Difference between Teams and Yammer

This was in a presentation that I spoke in about the Value of Yammer and Teams and how they are better together.  @Farren Roper was definitely talking about this session. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjv5VoSNdXw

Yammer and Teams 10-12-2017 9-07-27 AM.jpg

Tired of "what to use when"? Stop in for a refreshing dose of "HOW and WHY" and judge if it's right for you. Simon Denton of Mott MacDonald and Melanie Hohertz of Cargill are intensely practical Microsoft MVPs with strong opinions and real-world strategies for combining Teams and Yammer. Let's ...

The inner/outer loop graphic makes sense... what doesn't make sense to me is INCREASING the membership capacity of a Team. I wouldn't think that 100s of people (now up to 2500) makes up an "inner loop" of any kind of group/team.

But if this content is internal to a Team that isn't the entire company, others would not gain the searchability value that Yammer can provide.

Yep. That’s a big inner loop. This is when the conversations in the General channel can get super-busy unless you start making rules like “only use General Conversations if you want to message the whole, large team.”

It also depends on the size of your organization or initiative.  There are definitely times when having a larger team, with multiple channels for topics or workstreams works great to drive collaboration.  The key is to focus on the life of your teams and what they need.   

I look at Teams as smaller sets of people. I think when you start growing beyond 10s and 20s you might need to think about breaking projects down...

Prior to Ignite that is how I thought of Teams, but with the right channel breakdown and structure, there definitely can be value from bigger Teams. That small of Teams limits the adoption of Teams as well (coming from experience)

This really all depends on the size of your organization.  In a large company, it's important to be mindful of not fragmenting teams that could naturally go together.  So for instance having one team for a new product launch that includes design. engineering. marketing and support together is better than having small teams for each topic.  One of our overall goals it to increase transparency and collaboration so that would be our best practice.  In that scenario you could definitely have quite a large team. 

Your scenario makes great sense, Karuana. In this case, would the teamwork be broken down into many smaller channels? Does this help to manage the content overload?