Home

Chrome Video Meetings

Highlighted
Dwayne Alton
Occasional Visitor

Chrome Video Meetings

Being that Chrome is the most common browser in enterprise, why is it not supported for video meetings?  When will we see support?  This one issue is halting our adoption of Teams.

image.png

21 Replies

RE: Chrome Video Meetings

We don't have dates to share for video calling on chrome yet, but it is on our backlog.

Re: Chrome Video Meetings

FWIW, you can activate the Teams video in Chrome by simply changing the user agent to "Edge 13." I installed the "user agent switcher" Chrome extension. When I want to use video, I simply change the user agent, and it works perfectly. I use it on my Chromebook almost everyday.

The only issue I have seen is that the chat history is cut off in some cases, but I rarely need the chat history while on video.

Re: RE: Chrome Video Meetings

Please priories this and don't try to force Edge on us.

Not having chrome support is a mayor deal breaker for us.

I can set the user-agent string in chrome on a physical pc to be"Edge - Windows" and Teams video calls in Chrome will work but this hack doesn't work when i try it on a citrix xendesktop vm where we also want the media to be redirected to the local endpoint instead of the datacenter hosting all the vms. Citrix has implemented the media redirection capability to the local endpoint called Browser Content Redirection (BCR), which can redirect an entire website to the endpoint for local rendering

through a combination of enhancements to their workspace app/citrix receiver which runs on the local endpoint and contains an embedded chrome  browser and a new version of their VDA which runs on the vm but Teams video has to supported in the chrome browser for all of this to work without hacking the user agent string. 

Can msft provide any more info since it's been 2 months since the last update in this thread saying it was in the backlog as Citrix was promoting this as one video solution for Teams media redirection on XenDesktop in 3Q2018  ?

Thanks John for your message. This is exactly the same case in our company and we're eagerly awaiting the implementation of this...

Hi All.. since there's been some new comments I wanted to hop in... First off, no one is trying to force Edge on anyone.  Certainly you can choose your own browser.  I really wanted to ask what is the blocker from using the desktop client?  If anything we believe this is the preferred experience.  I'd love to know more about the use case for only using the web.  Secure or virtual machines maybe?  I myself frequently use the web experience but usually to view two conversations at once or to multi task, not for meetings.  Thanx for your insight here. 

Karuana Gatimu, I don't wanted to sound rude but when I can simply change my user agent and everything just works fine, what else should one belive.

Anyway. Normally our employees use their laptop and screenshare on the big conference TV but since not everyone got a notebook we have dedicated computer hooked up to the TV. It's far more convenient to login on the web and be signed out once I close the browser rather than using the desktop app.

The "blocker" is that Teams will never become a replacement for Skype for Business if you force external guests to load the large Teams full client when they simply want to join a meeting and show video.

Unless you are saying that Microsoft is no longer competing with WebEx, Zoom, and GoToMeeting.   Which one providers a better experience for the external guest today?  Teams is dead last without an easy-to-use plugin or WebRTC support for major browsers.

True. I didn't thought about external guests. Major deal breaker.

The desktop client on Linux is rubbish, cant join meetings. Then try and use it in chrome and its just as bad...

Unfortunately that's true.

@Karuana GatimuI can echo other users' concerns here:

When hosting meetings for external participants it is critical that we have easy-to-use, functional meeting solutions.

The former, "easy-to-use" part has been done fantastically; arrows pointing to different parts of the screen to direct permission grants, and no required download is an excellent user experience (a further improvement here would be to detect when audio is coming through a different device than selected, and point the user to the "select device" screen).

The functionality needs work. External participants, who are often far from tech-savvy, do not want to download a client and install it. They don't want to use a different browser (they often don't even know what a browser is). They want to click the "Join" button and be in the meeting. With the amount of work the Teams development team has done with making the "Join on Web" option user friendly, this should a no-brainer and shouldn't be surprising. Otherwise they will just punch some buttons on their phone, a familiar device, to join audio-only, where we will lose all of the collaborative edge that Teams offers.

Like others have stated, "Use Edge" is not an acceptable solution. Quite frankly, with market share numbers being what they are, work on the web client should have started with Chrome.

Hi Karuana - also wanted to chip in here that the need for us is really focused around external users - whether they don't want to (prefer not to install software) or can't (security settings block the launch of .exe that aren't whitelisted for example, or Windows Firewall kicks in and requires admin to allow access). This is particularly common in environment where users are on Windows 7, and the the only "modern tech" they are able to use happens to be a Chrome browser.

Thanks for the ask for feedback!

The early post says this is on the backlog, then at Ignite they say its coming this year.

It was kind of funny that they did their demo with Chrome. It was a poor experience.

Karuana;

The deskop client is fine, but getting it set up for Guest access to a meeting is clunky and bug ridden for us in all of our testing.  Guests are required to sign up for teams, they must have a microsoft account, then go through the process that can take up to an hour to activate.

This is hardly the user experience we want when inviting guests to meetings when we can just use Zoom or some other meeting system with far less friction that Teams.

Totally agree.  Moreover even "Edge" isn't fully featured for Teams as apparently it can only "receive" a screen share, not initiate one.  You completely missed the mark on this product Microsoft if the intention is to compete in the Collaborative Meeting space.  Its especially frustrating when the MS sales people tell you that Edge and Chrome will provide you a full meeting experience for external meeting participants without having to install a client and then you find out that:

1.  Edge cannot start a screen share, it can only receive one.

2.  Chrome cannot start video or a screen share but it can receive them.

This seems very much like an intentional limitation meant to promote the use of the Edge browser as there is no technical, or logical reason that this cannot be done on Chrome.

Linux.
Not everyone on my team chooses and can reasonably choose to work on Windows/Mac. No client for Linux.

Browser remains the only choice. Unfortunately, that is not a solution until we can voice chat in Chrome, without workarounds. 

Teams on Mac still requires admin rights for an install. This is supposed to change in the future, but just another reason we can't send this out to external users.

image.pngGot the same thing. Was so looking forward to a favorable experience in server 2016 but found that we still can't use the camera with chrome, Edge isn't an option in server 2016, and the desktop app doesn't work properly for us.

Hi Rish, when in time do you expect Chrome to be supported?

Not the same thing, but I found that I can get Chrome to work if I spoof the User Agent string of Microsoft Edge.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/64.0.3282.140 Safari/537.36 Edge/18.17763