SOLVED

Stream to share a video and make it available to anonymous users

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Is there a facility in Stream to share a video and make it available to anonymous users so that it can be embedded in different websites.

Thanks

60 Replies

+1 for the frustration. not having a way to publicly share a video, is a dealbreaker for using this good recording feature with MS Teams

Hi Gary - sorry to hear that you're having issues with sharing the meeting recording. As a workaround for sending the large file, have you tried hosting the downloadable MP4 on SharePoint and sending a link? I know it's not ideal, but hopefully that will work while you're waiting for the anonymous sharing feature. 

Agreed and thank you for the workaround, we have done similar...

We are a hosted architecture Direct Routing solutions provider/carrier so we do daily sales, onboarding, and training calls relating to Teams voice solutions. That being said its reflects poorly on the app when we cannot record those sessions natively in Teams and share with prospects, customers, etc outside our org. Thank You for your comments. Respectfully, Gary - teams@nuwave.com

Agreed and thank you for the workaround, we have done similar...

We are a hosted architecture Direct Routing solutions provider/carrier so we do daily sales, onboarding, and training calls relating to Teams voice solutions. That being said its reflects poorly on the app when we cannot record those sessions natively in Teams and share with prospects, customers, etc outside our org. Thank You for your comments. Respectfully, Gary - teams@nuwave . com

I have people resorting to YouTube for external video sharing now. I'd love to have this soon so I can get their business process changed/adapted before it gets too ingrained.

Also very frustrated that I can't share videos outside my company.

As lead on video communications at my company, the inability to share anonymously or publicly renders this tool useless for us.  We have thousands of users in the field watching videos on their phone.  Imagine if you could only use Skype to call people on your network.... not off.

The download of an mp4 is the only workaround that I know of and use at the moment. I think it should be a no-brainer that participants of a recorded Teams Meeting get to view/listen to what they said. If not focussing on anonymous access, you should at least make this a priority.

@null null Looks like this request made its' way onto the official development plan (product roadmap) for Microsoft Stream: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Stream

Release: Q4 CY2019

Microsoft Stream: Public anonymous external video sharing

Allow individual videos in Microsoft Stream to be marked for external public access allowing the video to be embeded in a public website. Anyone in the world can view these external videos without a login. Stream admins will be able to control if this feature is enabled and who within the organization can make videos publicly available.

• Featured ID: 27728
  • Added to Roadmap: 4/26/2018
  • Last Modified: 2/27/2019
  • Tags: Microsoft Stream
It's still a bit of a wait, but I'm happy it's happening. Also: should have spotted it myself in the roadmap! :smirking_face:

@Deleted Oh man, but not until Q4.  I guess the mp4 download workaround is how we'll work in the meantime.  

until this is possible We still have to use youtube, would be really nice

@LilleLars Why YouTube? Why not just download the video and share via OneDrive or SharePoint?

@Marc Mroz 

What service policies will be added on anonymous to access Stream, which would be such as limits of guest access, maximum number of connections in concurrent streams,...etc.

Thank you

@Jason Lindsell this is good but how will this impact sharing to everyone in the Tenet and just NOT being displayed/discoverable .. "unlisted" in stream home content search ... 

Roadmap now says September 2019, we are getting closer. :)

@Marc Mroz 

Hello Marc, where is development of this at the time, already Q4/2019

Thank you

agreed @Raymond Boone  our culture is hardening around youtube is there a recommended best practice for now MSFT Marc ? Its becoming more and more difficult to change what is being adopted more and more by my users...

I Agree with everyone above that this is becoming an even bigger issue everyday as more and more folks are using Teams for meetings/recording and then cant share that content (easily or natively) with those outside their org.

I do Teams Direct Routing Partner Hosted Architecture Presentations DAILY to large master agent groups, re-sellers, and direct customers/prospects. As these are large groups and often everyone cannot make the meeting they almost always ask me to record so the missing invitees can watch later. They see the recording in the meeting thread but cant access it so often ask me why & can I email it to them (or worse yet can I upload to Dropbox). This should be a native Teams experience ASAP.

For workarounds, obviously you cant download then email as they file is usually too large. Using non MSFT dropbox when you are evangelizing Microsoft reflects poorly on Teams, Microsoft, and Me. YouTube is not an option for private or NDA'd meetings. I use OneDrive as my workaround but am really looking forward to External users having access to this content in Stream.

This thread is so frustrating.  It has 23.3k views and multiple comments about the shared frustration with the limitations of this product and so far the response from MS is "we're working on it" and yet the date in the roadmap changes and then doesn't get done.  I forwarded this thread to our IT department to show that the method of operation appears to be 1. push out buggy software 2. bugs persist for years and allocate no resources to support for existing products 3. end of life that product and push out new product with new bugs 4. wash rinse repeat@null null