Stream embed on Sharepoint 2016 in IE11 doesn't work

Brass Contributor

Dear Community,

I'm facing major issues embedding Stream videos on Sharepoint 2016 in IE11& Win10. While the embedded video is shown in Chrome or Firefox without any flaws, in IE11 the section where the video should be shown remains empty. No Stream error screen or anything else is coming up.

Has anybody an idea where to start investigating or what the root cause may be?

br Philipp

file.png

7 Replies

I'm guessing that SP 2016 tells IE to go to an older mode like IE10 mode. Some of the code for Stream embed needs at least IE11.

Try hitting F12 to get to developer mode in IE.

Emulation

Switch it to IE11 instead of IE10.

I'm guessing SP 2016 has this in the top of the page which is causing the issue...

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=10"> 

Dear Marc,

Thanks for your reply;

Sharepoint 2016 masterpage hadn't any kind of these tags included.

After adding this to SP16th masterpage it worked fine.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=11"> 

br philipp

For us embedded video is an issue in SharePoint 2010 sites too. 

When tried doing F12, it only works when edge is selected. 

I've updated my master pages with this IE=11 update.

However...please note:  Open in Explorer and a few other SP features are not compatible with IE 11 mode.  Even SP2016.  I've had a ticket open with MS Support.  Their response was to change doc mode back to IE=10.  I explained the need for IE=11 for MS Stream, but, once again, the product teams don't communicate with each other.

-

Jason

@Marc Mroz @Vishal_Sood: Will Microsoft Stream be made compatible with the standard configuration of SharePoint 2013 + 2016; namely to run in IE=10 document mode? As rightful stated, Microsoft SharePoint Support strongly suggests or even demands in situation when issues with standard SharePoint controls, to be sure to run in IE=10 mode. So it is not really a sustainable option to run SharePoint on-premise in IE=11 mode. And in a lot of organizations, IE11 is for reasons still the company standard.

It is rather unacceptable that in a full Microsoft based landscape: Microsoft IE11, Microsoft SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 (?), and Microsoft Stream; the products do not work together when in the Microsoft SharePoint Support required standard configuration.

Resolved for us : 

At company level we had Chrome as default browser with IETab extensions in it. And this IETab made the video space empty even in Chrome. Luckily our company was using exclusions with regular expressions in IETab Auto-URLs. So our ActiveDirectory team helped us by adding the exclusion as: x/*/web.microsoftstream.com/*
And now it works smooth in Chrome. Hope this idea is helpful to some.

@Sachin RANKAFor many companies, including ours, it is not feasible to declare other then IE already the company browser: many older webapplications (for instance, SAP based) are IE-reliant. And for me this also goes beyond the point: Microsoft has vendor has the obligation to make sure its products mutual can work together, instead of fail on conflicting IE demands. Or in case decision is made to stop support of IE10 document mode for modern MS webapplications, then make a clear note that embedding in standard SharePoint 2013 + 2016 will not work; unless you decide to deviate from the out-of-the-box document-mode setting in the masterpage (which will require to customize the masterpage, which MS warns us about not to do)