SOLVED

Stream Administrative Controls?

Steel Contributor

Just saw this announcement on the office blog: https://blogs.office.com/2017/06/20/microsoft-stream-now-available-worldwide-new-intelligent-feature...; and immediately checked the portal and yes there is now a tile appearing in the waffle which wasn't there until today.

I was taken by surprise by this actually. I am unable to find the administrative controls for Stream and/or Video in the admin portal. Where do we set the company policy? Where do we switch it on/off? Why is the license enabled for all users by default? Do we now need to run a PowerShell script to revoke the licenses for all existing users and then everytime a new users joins? View is still okay, but "everyone in the company can contribute" is NOT for us.

tl;dr; (rant follows)

This is a mess. It by default picks up all our million O365 groups created by users. Not only this, it allows anyone in any group to upload videos and create groups directly from within Stream. We do NOT want this pushed down our throat. We do NOT want all of our users ending up uploading a thousand videos without moderation and eat up the storage. This bypasses our internal governance.

As long as it was only documents and photos via highly confusing and unorganized O365 Groups paraphernalia, it was still okay for us. Not everyone was allowed to upload videos to the Videos app. But, now with Stream choosing to use (and spawn) O365 Groups all around, it is seemingly an administrative and governance nightmare for us.

Anyone has any details around this? How do we control Stream as a resource? How can all O365 Group resources be controlled at an organizational level? We want our users to be able to create their own groups to collaboarate, but not with all videos and sites and plans being spawned unncessarily all around. 

I know that the AMA is scheduled tomorrow, but the time is not suitable for me, so couldn't wait for this rant.

20 Replies
Hi Marc, why my Trial don't see the "Disable Upload / Creation of Companywide groups" and "Add Company Policy" in Admin settings? Only these 2 are missings, the rest is there. I'm the Global Admin rights in my tenant and using Enterprise E3 plan.