Microsoft Stream is no Replacement for Office Mix

Copper Contributor

I am having problems understanding how Microsoft Stream is a replacement for Office Mix. It takes hours to upload a video to Microsoft Stream that takes about 3 or 4 minutes with Office Mix.

There is no embedded interactivity with Microsoft Stream. I do like the ability to upload videos that were not created with PowerPoint.

I am puzzled why you would give the axe to Office Mix when you have no replacement for it. While there were occasional glitches with Mix, it was a really great tool.

28 Replies

Agreed!  As an educator, I have uploaded daily lessons to Mix from PowerPoint in 20mins or less for a 40 minute lesson.  Now with Stream, I am lucky if they upload after 4 hours, if they upload at all.  To give Mix the axe before having a suitable replacement is just bad planning.

If uploading a video to Mix and Stream are essentially the same idea, why does Stream take infinitely longer than Mix?

@Joshua Mocherman - I'm sorry for the frustration we've caused everyone. Uploading to Mix and Stream are doing 2 different things which is why you see such a long delay. See my post above from 3-2-18 for more details: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Forum/Microsoft-Stream-is-no-Replacement-for...

I think we all understand that. But that doesnt really help all the people trying to upload a 2gig video for every lecture?

Second, if for whatever reason the upload fails, the video render has to start all over again!

You need to realise how this is really making what was a great product into a terrible educational product--not because of the software itself but because of the upload process!

Couldn't agree more to the comments in these posts.

I am a high school Physics teachers and had tentatively begun to move all my efforts in on-line teaching resources to Mix and, like other contributors, had promoted the product strongly in my school, running a number of INSET sessions on it.

Mix was brilliant - easier to use than all the methods I had toyed with previously.  And the ability to embed other HTML5 content, such as interactive PhET simulations, was so exciting.

I'm hoping Stream will get there in the end but at the moment I think we've taken a big step backward.

As the instructional sys admin for O365 in our school district I cannot stress how disappointed I am with how this was handled.  If the writing was on the wall that Mix had to be retired, MS should have at least had Stream ready day 1 with the same or similar feature sets.  Our teachers relied on this tool for flipping their instruction and district departments used Mix videos embedded in our LMS for district wide training.  I understand the fact that Mix was in 'preview', but it is our teachers, students and families that will feel the brunt of this change.  We aren't talking anything super technical either...just give users the ability to share/embed a video and not require login.  That should take until Q4 of 2018 to roll out.  Improve the experience to mimic Mix first...then add additional features...you did it with the transition from Classroom to Teams...why should this be any different?

Any update to this? Specifically, does Stream have interactivity?

Stream does not yet have interactivity like was there in Office Mix. We are still investigating and working on how we can bring more of the cool things from Office Mix into Stream like interactivity. We'll keep you posted as things like interactivity take more shape in the coming months.

Any movement or a timeline on this?

Can we please get an update on when interactivity is coming to Stream?  It's a showstopper right now for using videos in an educational context.  It's been mentioned several times in this thread that it's being investigated but there is no mention of it on the O365 roadmap...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Stream%2CIn%20Development

...nor on the Stream vs O365 Video comparison published in July:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/office-365-video-feature-breakdown