SOLVED

How to let video recording in Teams be owned by my team in Stream and not me

Copper Contributor

Hi

I recently joined a team at my work which use Teams for meetings which we record. I noticed that the videos produces have me as owner, but in fact it should be my team who is owner. Because if I leave the team or the company, the videos may be deleted and then the team has no track of those meetings.

I tried to create a channel under my team and added the video to that channel. But if I delete the video from my profile, it is also removed from the channel.

So what is best practice here?

Thanks

8 Replies

Hi@z6jhq 

Microsoft does have a solution to this, see here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/managing-deleted-users

Once the user name of a deleted user is removed from Microsoft Stream, any videos/channels/comments created by that user are moved to a “general bucket” and cannot be reassigned. This is a permanent operation and cannot be undone.

So whilst you can have shared ownership of a video to control who has access and permissions on the content you manage the content until you are deleted from the organisation where the content goes into a general bucket. 

Another way to work around this is to potentially create a Team account and record the meetings on the Team account so no one has access to delete the content.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

Thanks for your answer. Your first suggestion does not seem right. The thing is that the videos should be owned by my team or project. Having important team meeting recordings lying and owned by whoever was the one who clicked "Record" during a Teams meeting does not sound correct. Your other suggestion sounds more correct. Only that I do not know how to have Teams place the video under that Team account. When I invite for a meeting in Outlook, I create a Teams meeting. This meeting is initiated by me and not the team account. Moreover, I think it is whoever is the person who click on the Record button, will have the video placed under his account.
So something is not really working correctly here, or am I using Teams and Microsoftstream wrongly?
Thanks again
The user who records the video is the owner. You could get around this by inviting a second ‘team user’ to the meeting you set up who records it. That is what we do in the business I work for for exactly the same reason.

But the above policy in the first part of the answer is correct, if I leave and am deleted all the videos I have recorded will be placed in a general user bucket going forward following the information in that article.

Hope that answers your question.

Best, Chris
Thanks again.
Concerning your first suggestion which I wrote "doesn't seem right", I meant it does not seem as the best practice solution.
But your suggestion of inviting a Team member sounds as a good solution. But how does that work in practice.
So I create a Team user and invite that user to the meeting. In outlook that would requite the user is added to the company which requires some administration. I could probably create him in Teams only (I do not know how to do that, but I guess it must be possible) and add him to the meeting, once the meeting is started.
But how do I get the video to be recorded with him as owner? Do we need a seperate physical machine to handle this, where he logs in to Teams as that user?
How do you do it in practice?

THanks again
Jihad
best response confirmed by z6jhq (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Jihad,

Thanks for this - yes, the deletion of the user and it going into general user bucket isn't really a great solution. Ultimately, it would simply be transferring the video to ownership of another/a set of users.

In practice it would work as follows
1.) Setup the 'Team' user, licence for Teams
2.) When creating the meeting, invite the user
3.) You start the meeting and another user logs into Teams/Meeting as 'Team' user
4.) 'Team' user records

A second person would be needed to log in and record. In our business someone from marketing usually does attends anyway so does all the recording with the 'Team' user.

Of course, we don't do this for all meeting records, just the ones that need to be owned by the Team, not by an individual user.

Hope that clarifies

Best, Chris

Best, Chris
Thanks a lot for your answer. I think that is the best that can be done for now, even though it seems as a workaround for a problem that ought to be easier to solve.

@Christopher Hoard This seems unnecessarily cumbersome; plus, that ghost account occupies a license. If it only becomes an issue when a user is deleted, I suggest that this becomes an off-boarding (account removal) process... perhaps a Stream/Global administrator looks for videos which is owned by that person, and change the ownership accordingly. This can also be done by the administrators after an account is deleted.

In a (single) test today:

• user 1 organized a meeting and associated it to a channel
  • once the meeting started, user 2 started the recording
  • we discovered that user 2 was listed as an additional owner (in addition to user 1) of the video

My guess is that if there were a user 3, user 3 would have no ownership rights to the video.

Any owner of the video could then make the Team as an owner of the video. This process makes more sense to me.

All fair points.

To note I mentioned the off boarding solution originally (see above) but was not accepted as the solution in this case.

The actual requirement was for videos to be owned by the team, not by every member of the team. In other words, the meetings are done by every member of the team but when recorded those members can not modify them. In other words whoever records and owns the video cannot be a member of the team. Therefore the ghost account achieves what is required and all the members of the team can access the videos but not modify them.

Ideally - and which would be the right solution - is that there would be a setting in Stream when something is recorded by any member the ownership transfers to the Stream administrator and only the stream administrator can modify and delete the video from that point.

Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by z6jhq (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Jihad,

Thanks for this - yes, the deletion of the user and it going into general user bucket isn't really a great solution. Ultimately, it would simply be transferring the video to ownership of another/a set of users.

In practice it would work as follows
1.) Setup the 'Team' user, licence for Teams
2.) When creating the meeting, invite the user
3.) You start the meeting and another user logs into Teams/Meeting as 'Team' user
4.) 'Team' user records

A second person would be needed to log in and record. In our business someone from marketing usually does attends anyway so does all the recording with the 'Team' user.

Of course, we don't do this for all meeting records, just the ones that need to be owned by the Team, not by an individual user.

Hope that clarifies

Best, Chris

Best, Chris

View solution in original post