SOLVED

Embedding on SharePoint

Brass Contributor

I embedded a video on the home page of one of my SharePoint sites, but stream is asking for log-in to play it back. That doesn't make sense to me because it's the same login (both SharePoint and Stream are in my Office 365 tenant).

Am I misreading this, or is there a way to avoid this experience for my users please?

Thank you in advance for your help.

stream.PNG

46 Replies
I have the same issue. For some users, only in IE 11, they are prompted for sign in but they are unable to do so. But, using Chrome, it works for these same users.

For others, it works. No matter which browser they use.

We were planing a rollout of this O365 welcome site tomorrow.

This doesn't look good.

I'm guessing this is an issue with IE's security zones. See this thread:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Forum/Stream-video-shared-on-Yammer-login-is...

If the host page where the Stream is embedded into is in Trusted sites or in Local Intranet settings site lists, then you need to also add the Stream URLs and login URLs to that same zone. If not IE doesn't like it and blocks our iFrame embed from logging in properly.

So to fix this issue you need the Stream URLs in the same zone as Yammer.com.

In IE > Gear > Internet Options > Security

Check first if Yammer.com is in "Local intranet" zone.

> "Local intranet" > sites > Advanced

See if Yammer.com is there. If it is add the following to the list...

If Yammer.com isn't there, then check in "Trusted Sites"

In IE > Gear > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites

If Yammer.com is there add the above URLs to the Trusted Sites list.

I think once you get our Stream URLs in the same zone as your hosting app (Yammer/SharePoint, etc) then this issue will go away in IE.

Thanks, that worked. 

Only some URL were trusted. We have added Login+Streams+SharePoint to trusted sites and it all work now.

What is weird is that it worked well in Chrome.

The trusted sites / intranet zone concept only applies to IE. It doesn't apply to Chrome or other browsers.

I am still seeing this behavior with the latest SharePoint mobile app and a new Communication site with a Stream video in a news article. User is me, owner of Stream channel and Comm site so permissions is right. Is this still on the radar to be fixed?

The issue you are seeing with login issues inside the SP mobile app is a different set of issues than the rest of this thread above. 

We've been trying to tackle solving the problem of being able to get our iFrame embed video from Stream to seamlessly be logged in on the SP Mobile app in all cases. There isn't a direct solution we've found yet. We've been collaborating across the teams from AAD, ADAL, SP, and Stream. @Saili Raje is the PM from our side in Stream that's been trying to find a path through the complexity of login/auth flows.

Sorry about that, it looked like what I was just experiencing. Thanks for the reply!

Please tag me for knowing when this issues in the Mobile App is fixed - we're getting ready to launch a new communication site organization wide and we're at our wits end with this. 

Hi @Tiger Boshomane wondering if the issue of embedding Stream in SP has been sorted out yet?

Hi, I just created a Stream video, so I'm the owner, embedded it as a webpart on a SharePoint Online Communication Site and then tried to view it on the SharePoint iOS app.  I can't view the Stream video, it says I need to sign in, but when I click the sign in link, nothing happens.  Since the SharePoint app is linked to my business account, shouldn't it already know whether I have permission or access to this content?  Is this a one-off issue, or more wide spread?  Any time frame on a stable solution?  We are hoping to jump to the communication sites soon.  Thanks!

This is happening with Android SharePoint app too. Not just a one-off issue. I would like to roll out Comms site plus SharePoint mobile to my 2000 users, but this is one of my holdups. I'm very interested in the answer!

@Jon Burke @Matt Whitehorn - Embedding videos in SharePoint pages with embed codes or via the SP web part does not work yet in some cases on the SP Mobile apps (iOS or Android). We have folks looking into technical fixes for this. So far this problem has been very hard for us to solve. We think we have some good paths / approaches, but are still doing investigations and trying to find a solution.

I'm adding @Saili Raje from our PM team who is tracking and working with engineering across Stream and SharePoint to come to a solution on this. For further questions she should be able to answer them.

@Victoria DApiceLoh - I believe that Tiger Boshomane did figure out and get playback happening for embeds at his organization. I believe in his case it was IE/Trusted Sites needing to be configured.

Do you have more specifics on what your issue is?

Hi @Jon Burke we are in the process of working on embed/playback issues in sharepoint. We are working with sharepoint to prevent the blocking of sign in and are working towards a better playback experience. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

@Victoria DApiceLoh Marc is correct, the embedding playback issues where sorted by adding stream to trusted sites in IE...it seems the responsiveness has been sorted as well, check my screen shot

I used chrome to build the site and Stream works fine on chrome, but the iOS SharePoint App requires sign-in to access the embedded stream videos, however no sign-in screen is activated when I click on that option within the SharePoint app.  It needs to all be handled by active directory and permissions within stream / Office 365

You are correct in many cases Stream does not yet work on the SharePoint mobile app for iOS or Android. We have a project running to try and come to a technical solution to solve this issue. So far it's been very difficult for us to solve. We are working on it though. Sorry.

Thanks for your team's hard work in finding a solution Marc! You wouldn't have a rough timeframe would you? If you don't have a working solution yet, I suppose it's probably up in the air until you get into QC and testing of the solution. I'm glad to hear it's being worked on though. We are excited to have a user friendly way to build an adaptive intranet HTML5 site. Is there someone I could talk to about how to link a communication site to an MS Team's team page? Ie. Allow a team page to maintain documents, information, processes, etc within a team's site that get's automatically posted on a communication site? We are interested in finding ways of allowing smaller groups of experts the ability to maintain a website without them having to move files or content around once it's initially been setup.

We don't have a good timeframe yet, since we are still trying to find a technical solution. @Saili Raje is the PM from our team that is tracking/owning this work, she may have more to share in the future as we advance.

For discussions on team sites and communication sites I think you would ask in the SharePoint forum:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/bd-p/SharePoint_General

Any update on this? I found out today that my users are seeing the 3 Stream videos on our SharePoint intranet home page as:

Microsoft Stream

"To see this content, sign in"

New to Microsoft Stream? sign up

I however, can perfectly see the Streams on the page. This page is using the new experience. Only internal users who are already authenticated can access the site. We have an E3 license. This stream is embedded on the page by clicking on the +, to begin adding a web part, selecting Stream (Preview), and applying the URL of the Stream from our O365 Stream channel.