SOLVED

Critical Feedback so far

Silver Contributor

On a personal note.  I hate the way this has been done, Groups should be used to access and manage channels, not be the channels themselves. That being said....

Company Channels

• Everyone has the ability to upload to them.  There HAS to be some kind of restriction put on this.  I'd make this work exactly like O365 Video did, you have viewers, contributors, and owners.  This is too wide open, with no controls....

Group channels

• The verbiage "Make this group companywide" is deceptive.  It should match across all O365 Groups, with the Public versus Private language.
  • And I'd even add a warning that all content will technically be made public, NOT just the video channel
  • Please add some kind of option to hide Groups from the Stream UI.  There are now TONS of O365 Groups that will NEVER have any kind of Video component to them that are clogging up the list of Groups

O365 Header / Link to Corporate Portal

• I've seen it stated that Stream is not part of O365, which I push back on.  If it is driven by Groups it has to be.  Our users need a way to get back to our O365/SharePoint/Intranet homepage, and the O365 header has always been the way to do that.  Here, the users have no way to get back to our corporate Portal.
  • This is a corporate tool first and foremost, and should follow the rest of the O365 standards, IMO, just move the menu options down a bit.

Groups Navigation

• why is there no way to navigate between the other Group tools and the Stream portal, this needs to be available sooner rather than later

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Vishal Sood (Microsoft)
Solution

Company Channels

• Everyone has the ability to upload to them.  There HAS to be some kind of restriction put on this.  I'd make this work exactly like O365 Video did, you have viewers, contributors, and owners.  This is too wide open, with no controls....

We are thinking about splitting the Admin setting for upload and creation of companywide channels so you can allow people to upload but restrict who can make these companywide channels. The intention was that if you want to restrict who can upload to a channel you could make a channel in a group. But we knew there would be tension here with having wide open channels. Could you add these 2 ideas to the ideas forum so others could vote/comment on them? 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Forum/bd-p/StreamForum

Group channels

• The verbiage "Make this group companywide" is deceptive.  It should match across all O365 Groups, with the Public versus Private language.
  • And I'd even add a warning that all content will technically be made public, NOT just the video channel
  • Please add some kind of option to hide Groups from the Stream UI.  There are now TONS of O365 Groups that will NEVER have any kind of Video component to them that are clogging up the list of Groups

"Make this group companywide" vs "public - We went back and forth discussing this string. We opted to match the Stream verbiage we were using elsewhere for companywide channels, instead of matching the rest of groups. The thinking was that public even in the rest of groups UI is confusing as public in most people's minds is external to the world, not public within your org. 

Can you add an idea on that one about us doing something hide groups from Stream UI in some way?

Groups Navigation

• why is there no way to navigate between the other Group tools and the Stream portal, this needs to be available sooner rather than later 

We on the Stream team need to do the work to publish the link to Stream group page back to AAD so other teams can consume it. Once we do that work we'll need to work with the other Groups services to consume that link and show it. Again sorry we didn't get to this before GA.

I've added the ideas, so hopefully they get some traction.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vishal Sood (Microsoft)
Solution

Company Channels

We are thinking about splitting the Admin setting for upload and creation of companywide channels so you can allow people to upload but restrict who can make these companywide channels. The intention was that if you want to restrict who can upload to a channel you could make a channel in a group. But we knew there would be tension here with having wide open channels. Could you add these 2 ideas to the ideas forum so others could vote/comment on them? 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Stream-Forum/bd-p/StreamForum

Group channels

"Make this group companywide" vs "public - We went back and forth discussing this string. We opted to match the Stream verbiage we were using elsewhere for companywide channels, instead of matching the rest of groups. The thinking was that public even in the rest of groups UI is confusing as public in most people's minds is external to the world, not public within your org. 

Can you add an idea on that one about us doing something hide groups from Stream UI in some way?

Groups Navigation

We on the Stream team need to do the work to publish the link to Stream group page back to AAD so other teams can consume it. Once we do that work we'll need to work with the other Groups services to consume that link and show it. Again sorry we didn't get to this before GA.

View solution in original post