Search doesn't include OneNote embedded files

Brass Contributor

tl:dr So a search issue that GDPR people are nagging me about. It doesn't search embedded documents in OneNote.

In my project we are to roll out retention rules to delete all e-mail older then 2 years. What people need to save before that we suggest moving to OneNote or print as PDF (which btw doesn't either seem to be searchable). Now our GDPR are all upset because enclosed files in Outlook transfers automatically as an embedded file and those are not included in search. Hard date set and this came up super late.

I found a OneNote uservoice and got people to upvote it, but in the meantime - what can I do? If we tell everyone to print to PDF then nobody will ever do anything we tell them again. Send to OneNote is easy and smart. Is there something we can add to outlook? Have anyone done anything like this?

(after this first wave we will implement more stuff so we don't leave them at that)

OneNote uservoice suggestion.

https://onenote.uservoice.com/forums/327186-onenote-for-windows/suggestions/16318531-enable-search-f...

If this is planned for a date within three - six months will probably be enough for the project to move on without any snags.

0 Replies