I'm not very experienced with the Intune product set and within my tenant I don't have admin access to manage any settings related to mobile access management.
From the beginning of this week, I'm receiving reports from people installing the Outlook for Android app and connecting to our tenant that they are seeing an additional "Activate device admin app" screen that we were not expecting to see.
What happened here is that a policy had been applied all along.. and we didn't notice it on the front end because everyone who tested the installation process did so on a mobile device that met the minimum requirements of the policy (mostly they were IT staff)
It's not clear to me who actually set the policy originally , or if in fact anyone in our team manually configured this policy at all .
However, when non-IT end users started to install Outlook .. in all cases it was on the Android platform .. we started to notice the "Outlook Device Policy" screens appearing.
Eventually we determined that it was because their devices (these are all unmanaged personal devices) DID NOT meet the minimum standard of the policy. So the approach now is that if they don't meet the minimum standard.. they don't get to connect the app to our tenant.