SOLVED

Update Windows 10 from 1709 > 1809

Iron Contributor

Hi All

Is it possible to configure Intune W10 Update Rings to update systems from:

Version 1709 > 1809

Client isn't ready for or wanting 1903, yet.

Any info greatly appreciated

3 Replies

Hey @Stuart King,

with the Intune windows update for business profiles this is not possible currently! You would need to Pause until you fixed the problem and I hope not every client has the problematic app installed. So, a part of the clients can hopefully be upgraded.

best,

Oliver

@Oliver Kieselbach 

So what would the UX or process be for systems on 1709?

Which version would come down via Intune first?

And which app are you referring to?

Stuart

best response confirmed by Stuart King (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hey @Stuart King,

you would group your 1709 devices and assign a WUfB profile and simply 'pause' feature upgrades on it.

@Stuart King wrote:

you also wrote: 

Isn't ready is normally a compatibility issue (an app) that's why I used the situation with app compatibility and the general "as-a-Service" thinking. Customer has to think in a "as- a-Service" world, iterate and move on, resolve problems and do not block until forever. Go and address the blockers and move on.

Look at the graphic here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-servicing-strategy-windows-10-update...

customer not wanting -> convince him :-), no honestly only technical blockers can be an issue, imho. These must be addressed, again Windows-as-a-Service.

Which version would come down via Intune first...

I guess you mean if 1709 is un-paused, will it get directly 1903 or will it see 1803. Does it have to go through all feature upgrades separately. Honestly my customers are installing semi-annual wise. So not 100% sure, but I think the device will see the latest. That way you can skip the spring release for example and apply only the autumn feature upgrade.

best,

Oliver

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stuart King (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hey @Stuart King,

you would group your 1709 devices and assign a WUfB profile and simply 'pause' feature upgrades on it.

@Stuart King wrote:

you also wrote: 

Isn't ready is normally a compatibility issue (an app) that's why I used the situation with app compatibility and the general "as-a-Service" thinking. Customer has to think in a "as- a-Service" world, iterate and move on, resolve problems and do not block until forever. Go and address the blockers and move on.

Look at the graphic here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-servicing-strategy-windows-10-update...

customer not wanting -> convince him :-), no honestly only technical blockers can be an issue, imho. These must be addressed, again Windows-as-a-Service.

Which version would come down via Intune first...

I guess you mean if 1709 is un-paused, will it get directly 1903 or will it see 1803. Does it have to go through all feature upgrades separately. Honestly my customers are installing semi-annual wise. So not 100% sure, but I think the device will see the latest. That way you can skip the spring release for example and apply only the autumn feature upgrade.

best,

Oliver

View solution in original post