Uninstall application using intune

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,

We are using Box as a filshare system and we need to push out Box Drive to all clients.
Before we can do that we need to uninstall "Box Sync", is there a way to uninstall box sync using Windows App win32? We have not pushed out box sync through intune.

15 Replies

Hi,

that should be possible, package the Box Sync software via Intune Win32 support (.intunewin) and specify the uninstall command line correctly. As a detection rule use something to identify if it is installed like .exe file in the Program path, then target with assignment "uninstall" to you devices where it is actually installed and this should trigger the uninstall. I can't see why this should not work.

best,

Oliver

Hello Oliver,

I uploaded BoxSync trhough Win32.
I am at the stage where I need to fill in install command and Uninstall Command and both field are required.

What should I type in there?

Find the install and uninstall command line for the BoxSync software for silent install and uninstall... e.g. boxsync.exe /install /silent or boxsync /uninstall /silent and create your app. The app will check if you have specified a detection method if it is installed and will trigger a uninstall if you do a uninstall assignment. 

The samples above are just samples I don't know the correct uninstall command for boxsync. I suggest you search at the vendor FAQ or Manual to get the command line. Otherwise try google there will be for sure someone how knows the command line and posted it somewhere. 

Hello,

I just gave it a try.

Detection rule 
Rule type: file
C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync
Detection method: file or folder exists.

Install command:
BoxSyncSetup.exe /install /quiet /norestart

Uninstall command:
MsiExec.exe /X{BFA57077-F78C-4B92-815E-7BCDA6B9686E}

the status message I get is "not installed" and box sync are not removed.

Might you be able to share the Agent logfile?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\IntuneManagementExtension.log

seems like the detection rule does not work...

Correct, detection rule does not work.

<![LOG[[Win32App] Start detectionManager SideCarFileDetectionManager]LOG]!><time="12:01:09.3039743" date="11-20-2018" component="IntuneManagementExtension" context="" type="1" thread="3" file="">
<![LOG[[Win32App] Path doesn't exists: C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync\Box Sync applicationDetected: False]LOG]!><time="12:01:09.3072059" date="11-20-2018" component="IntuneManagementExtension" context="" type="2" thread="3" file="">
<![LOG[[Win32App] Checked under Path: C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync, filePath:C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync\Box Sync, agent was checking under expanded: C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync\Box Sync, applicationDetected: False]LOG]!><time="12:01:09.3079395" date="11-20-2018" component="IntuneManagementExtension" context="" type="1" thread="3" file="">

the path is correct c:\program files\box\box sync

It looks like your detection rule definition is wrong. The agent looks for C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync\Box Sync.

I think this comes from the wrong entry in the field Path.

You should enter in Path: C:\Program Files\Box

and you should enter in File or folder: Box Sync

This will result in the full path: C:\Program Files\Box\Box Sync and not the wrong one from above.

best,

Oliver

Yes! it works :D

Thank you as always!
The only thing it did not was to remove the application icon but removed it from the system.

@Oliver KieselbachHi Oliver,

I have a set of application of exe files, convert them into intunewin, unfortunately it doesnt automatically populate the install and uninstall command. I tried looking at the vendors and finding an msi to convert for these applications but no luck there. What do you think I should do?

Hey @Deetrain,

actually this is a typical software packaging task. You need to find the install parameters yourself, exactly speaking the silent install parameters and then construct the install and uninstall command line. This can be a tricky task sometimes. Typically you would look at the vendors docs to find any hints for silent install or search the internet for the software and silent install command (often someone else had the same problem before and posted it in some forum). Next, if this leads to no success, you would like to find out which installer they are using, even when it is an exe file they are often Nullsoft, InstallShield etc. installers. When you get to know which installer it is, it is pretty easy to lookup the silent switches for these installers online. If that doesn't help it really gets tricky, then you have to reverse engineer the setup but there is no recipe how to do that... normally professional software packaging services have their ways for analyzing but yeah this can be tricky then.

best,

Oliver 

@Oliver Kieselbach 

When trying to find the uninstall information for software packages I typically install the software on a test machine and then go to the registry to get the uninstall information that you will need for the Intune uninstall command. 

This registry location is a good place to get software installation/uninstallation information from computer with existing software to build Intune apps.  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

You should see folders here that represent the software packages that have been installed.  Look for the UnintallString key and you should see the information that you need for the uninstall command.  You will also find lots of other useful information about the software here as well.

@computernations63 @Oliver Kieselbach 

Hi,

I am also trying to configure intune to uninstall an application that was not pushed through intune.

The application is Citrix Receiver, however the .exe file comprises of multiple .msi packages. I believe to successfully uninstall it, I will need to uninstall all the individual packages.

Do you have any suggestions how I can go about this using one .intunewin file instead of having multiple files?

Thanks.

Hey @Livi_1,

I would simply script the uninstall via PowerShell script and package it up as intunewin. So, take a lab VM install Citrix Receiver and then test your uninstall script to uninstall the complete bundle by calling every uninstall command line for every Citrix Receiver msi. The final tested script should be packaged as intunewin and distributed. It's more a matter of figuring out the correct uninstall strings for all individual components of the Citrix Receiver, the rest is simple scripting and wrapping in intunewin.

best,

Oliver

Thanks! It might take me a while to figure how to do that but I'll give it a shot. @Oliver Kieselbach 

@Deetrain What we do is create a batch file to install exe's works well and saves having to find the string 

And convert the batch file to Intune win and set that as the install/uninstall commands