Software Inventory Reports in new Azure Intune Portal?

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I was looking to see if anyone had info on wether or not the new Intune portal on Azure will have a detailed software inventory report?  Currently, you can only see what mobile apps are installed on a computer (Windows Store type apps).  We're looking for a detailed report of ALL apps installed (Chrome, Adobe Products, etc...).  Basically, a report showing what you see in the "Apps and Features" (Add/Remove Programs) area of the computer.

I can't find any information on wether this is in development or not.

Thanks,

Kevin

18 Replies

I have the same question! there used to be a way to see all computers and what software they had, now you have to look at each individual computer and you only see "Discovered Apps".

Hi Kevin,

For most thing in the MDM space you need first support from the OS to configure or gather something from the devices. In this case Windows 10 already has support for Win32AppInventory with a dedicated CSP for it, see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/win32appinventory-csp

So it's certainly just a matter of time when Intune starts to use this CSP and display this data in the Intune Azure portal. But they did not officially released an ETA and there is no roadmap item at for it at the moment.

I think we need t be patient and it will certainly be integrated sometime.

best,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Any way I can use that CSP to check for installed software manually?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No not really, technically the CSP is built to do that but we are not able to execute Get commands from Intune and gather results and have a corresponding UI to display. This is something Microsoft needs to implement for us.

best,

Oliver

Are there any updates on this? 

Last I heard, Microsoft are removing MDM devices from the classic Silverlight portal at the end of this month (31st August 2018) and I still can't find info on how to generate a "Detected Software" report or relevant PowerShell commands that would produce a similar output

No news here. CSP still not utilizable with Intune and a general app reporting feature is not available in Intune at the moment.

I was recently told, "Intune is not an inventory tool". Therefore, I would not expect Intune to do much more than what it does not. 

That's unfortunate because the Silverlight (old Intune) used to have software reporting.  Not really sure why they decided to leave that off in the Azure portal...

if you have a screenshot of the old SW report, pass it along. I will ask the product team about it. 

Here you go Garth.  It wasn't perfect, but it was something at least :)

Have you looked at alternatives such as OMS Windows Analytics?

We liked having the inventory under 1 solution (Intune).  I've see the OMS stuff, but requires additional licenses ($$)...

I understand it is a pain to jump between portal but Windows Analytics is free to my knowledge.

I don't believe so, unless I'm reading it wrong:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/operations-management-suite

If you scroll down there is some information on pricing.

Some info from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-analytics-faq-troubleshooting

Beyond the cost of Windows operating system licenses, there is no additional cost for using Windows Analytics. Within Azure Log Analytics, Windows Analytics is "zero-rated;" this means it is excluded from data limits and costs regardless of the Azure Log Analytics pricing tier you have chosen. To be more specific, Azure Log Analytics is available in different pricing tiers as described in Pricing - Log Analytics.

Can you send a screenshot of what the software reporting looks like within analytics?

We are mainly using OMS to understand our application portfolio for Windows 10 upgrade purposes but I don't see why not we can use it for software inventory with a bit of help with Power BI.

OMS.PNG

We are mainly using OMS to understand our application portfolio for Windows 10 upgrade purposes but I don't see why not we can use it for software inventory with a bit of help with Power BI.

OMS.PNG