Intune Compliance Policy: Device not compliant because of missing machine risk score: deactivated?

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I have this curious compliance issue for which I cannot find any information online or on docs.microsoft.com. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

We are testing Windows Defender ATP in combination with Intune compliance policies on a limited amount of devices. We had a first test group of three devices, and a second test group of four devices. So 7 in total.

In Intune our 'second wave' of test devices is somehow marked as "non compliant" because a violation of our rule that "Require the device to be at or under the machine risk score = clean, low,...".  However, these machines are onboarded in Windows Defender ATP and are showing to have no issues. In Intune the table in Device Compliance -> Device Compliance shows that for these machines the Device Threat Level is "Deactivated".  (Our other test machines report "Secured", machines outside the test group are reporting "Unknown".)

deactivated.JPG

I cannot find any documentation where this state of "deactivated" is discussed. 

We identified three other differences between or first test group and the second test group:

- License level was on Microsoft E3 for the non-compliant machines, instead of E5 

- Windows version was 1803 for the non-compliant machines, instead of 1809

- The very first test group was onboarded in Windows Defender ATP using a script. The second non-comliant group was onboarded using a configuration policy in Intune.

To test if any of these three differences could have caused the issue I did three separate tests:

1) I moved one user to Microsoft E5, as I understand for Windows Defender ATP this is required.

2) I had one other machine upgraded to Windows 10 1809

3) I ran the manual onboarding script once more on a third machine

But none of these machines would be compliant afterwards.

I onboarded the first test group to ATP using a script downloaded from ATP. They were active for a few weeks with just the ATP link. I then assigned both the compliance policy and the final ATP configuration at the same time to this first group.

The second group was onboarded by the ATP configuration policy in Intune.  I assigned the identical compliance policy a day later. 

I assume that the compliance check fails because the machines do not communicate their threat level (shown as "deactivated" in the Intune portal) properly.

One widget in the device compliance screen does show 5 of the 7 devices to be clean:

clean.JPG

I do not understand why it counts 5 devices. What with the remaining two?  And if these 5 are indeed clean, why do at least two of them (7 minus 5) report as having a threat level "deactivated" and "non-compliant"?

Does anyone know why the Device Threat Level of the second test group is "deactivated"? What causes this? How can I solve this?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Wim

38 Replies

I am having a very similar issue.   On my Device compliance policy I am showing "Require the device to be at or under the machine risk score" as not compliant.  The device appears to be onboarded but is now showing up in the Windows Defender Security Center Portal.  Only machines I have onboarded manually with a script appear there.  I have gone through the Intune - WDATP onboarding instructions located here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/advanced-threat-protection several times and everything seems to be set correctly.  If I look on the device WDATP shows that there are no threats and no action needed.  Why is the device not showing up in the console and why am I getting the compliance issue?

Thanks for the comment.

After the initial post in this thread I did not make any more changes due to business travel. After about a week suddenly the machines became compliant. Again: with no changes. Could it be that some process needs to run in the course of about a week before a client really is marked as compliant?

Are you seeing this too?

Best regards,

Wim

@Wim Borgers 

Still having issues getting devices to join to WDATP through the Intune process.  I have switched to a hybrid deployment because of some of the limitations of transferring all of our GPO settings to Intune.  I can join devices using the script.  I do not really trust Intune at this point to not mark one of my devices not compliant and cut off the VP while he is out of the office.   Not a great feeling.  We are going to do more testing with a rollout to IT staff.

@RyanReynoldsThanks for the feedback. That is indeed not a comfortable situation to be in.  I just checked our device list and they are still marked as compliant, with the exception of one device for another reason. 

In any case, the behaviour seems flaky to it would be great if this could be addressed by the Intune team.

I am having the same issue, I have tested this on 6 Win10 computers at this point, it seems that if I Azure AD Domain Join the computers everything works fine, if I Azure AD Register and MDM Manage the device, it will show up as clear or level 1 in WATP poral and as Deactivated in Intune portal.  

I've read conflicting information in the documentation, is Azure AD Domain Join mandatory?  Seems ridiculous if it is, I mean the Mac client was releases and how are you supposed to deal with BYOD if this is the case?  I am working a support case with Microsoft and they are adamant about the fact that MDM Managed devices should report correctly but we have been working the case for 15 days so far and no changes.  The strange thing is I can configure ASR, cloud protection, and set any of the other policies with no trouble.  This makes it seem it may just not currently work unless the system is Domain Joined and MDM Managed and not Domain Registered and MDM Managed. 

If anyone has any details at all, would love to hear them.  We have several deals closed with clients to deploy M365 E5 and I want to prepare them if Intune isn't going to show their security status in Intune as this is going to effectively kill our ability to use Conditional Access to limit access based on risk.  

Thanks!

Thanks for the adding your experiences to this thread. Short update on our experience: in the end all our device will be set to compliant, but it can take days. That poses a problem when you want to activate conditional access based on compliancy.

When looking at the device status of the compliance policy most devices are shown twice. Once with the user 'system account' and once with the regular user of the machine. In the end it does not seem to affect the compliance status of the device itself but it is annoying and makes it very hard to find that one device that is in fact not compliant.

Mine never went compliant, no idea what the heck, everything else works but not that and I can't get support from Defender ATP team to save my life even with a support contract.  Intune guys took me through a million steps and were great but even they say it is a DATP issue so I am just sort of stuck. Overally clearly some major issues with the integration still. @Wim Borgers 

Hi,

any Updates on this case?

I´ve got a customer with same problems. Device ist not compliant because of: Require the device to be at or under the machine risk score:

Test with different settings (not configured till High) won´t fix this. 

Securitycenter shows all devices with no problems.

@Markus Dinkel, Same issue here, MS ticket has been open for a few weeks, no clear response.

I've tested by joining a device in Azure AD instead of a hybrid join and then the device reports compliant but as stated in previous messages, Azure AD join shouldn't be a requirement.

@Jerod PowellWe are having the same issue with one of our customers, I have had 4 different Intune teams trying to solve it but it looks to be a bug in Defender ATP portal not showing up a threat for the device which causes this issue.

@MyronHelgering I believe the issue typically ends up being the licensed version of Windows 10, we were running Windows Insider builds and for whatever reason they weren't being registered as Windows 10 Enterprise E5, this is what was causing the issue.  That said there was no workaround but to load Windows 10 Enterprise E5 without insider builds.  This resolved our issue, not an ideal situation though, all sorts of issues we have found with E3 vs. E5 vs. Pro, etc., with Windows 10.

@Jerod PowellUhmm this doesn't seem to be related to our problems with the Defender ATP policy. None of the devices run insider builds.

@Jerod Powell, do you have an easy way of checking whether or not a machine is properly recognizing the licensing as Windows 10 Enterprise E5?  About 80% of our machines are showing this "Deactivated" status and although I'm fairly confident that it's not an OS license issue for us, I'd like to know if there's a simple way to rule it out for sure.

I do have a support case open with Microsoft, but it's moving very slowly as those things do.  They always seem to call with about 5 min to go in the workday.  I've begun to accept that this is actually done with intent on their end.

@Philip Kluss 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Warning:  Backup any important data off the machine before you proceed.

Cause:
In Windows 10's "Access work or school", you might see:  "Connected to Microsoft MDM".
Action Center -> All settings -> Accounts ->  Access work or school -> "Connected to Microsoft MDM"
In Intune portal -> Devices -> Azure AD devices -> Under "Join Type" column, you might see 'Azure AD registered'.

Intune -> Devices -> Azure AD devices
"Join Type" make sure that it shows up as "Azure AD joined" instead of "Azure AD registered" (Enroll only in device management).
As documented here:
Configure Conditional Access in Microsoft Defender ATP
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/configure...

To try fixing:  Disjoin "Connected to Microsoft MDM" (Intune:  Azure AD registered Windows 10:  'Enroll only in device management')

Action Center -> All settings -> Accounts ->  Access work or school -> "Connected to Microsoft MDM" -> 'Disconnect'
When prompted for "Are you sure you want to remove this account?  This will remove your access to resources like email, apps, network and all content associated with it.  Your organization might also remove some data stored on this device".
Click on 'Yes'.
Restart the OS

Rejoin, but this time around to 'Azure AD joined' instead of "Azure AD registered"

The way that you join to Azure AD matters for Intune + Conditional Access + Device Compliance + Device Risk to work.  Take a look here:
https://microscott.azurewebsites.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/enrollmenttypes_Capabilities5.png
At least methods 5, 6, 10 and 11 of joining "Azure AD Join" will work with it.
For details:
Managing Windows 10 with Intune – The Many Ways to Enrol
https://microscott.azurewebsites.net/2018/08/31/managing-windows-10-with-intune-the-many-ways-to-enr...

One method to test:
Action Center -> All settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school -> "
Connect"
"Join this device to Azure Active Directory" <-- this portion is super important.  Again take a look at the blog above on bulk enrollment options.

Under the "Work or school account"
Make sure this is your organization
Yes
Restart
Login w/ the Azure AD account
Setting up your device for work
 Device preparation
 Device setup
 Account setup
Continue anyway

In Windows 10, now you should be able to see:
Action Center -> All settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school -> "Connected to Microsoft's Azure AD"
In the Intune Portal, now you should be able to see:
In Intune portal -> Devices -> Azure AD devices -> Under "Join Type" column, you might see 'Azure AD joined'.
This may or may not fix it depending on OS version, your device isn't supposed to have to be Azure AD joined to support this as I understood it and what I was told by Microsoft support on several occasions as the documentation makes it sound like this may be the case. Regardless a license of windows 10 that included defender ATP is required thus you need a version of 10 that comes with it if you don't have that and in my case do have it but are using windows insider it will show as deactivated.

Licensing requirements
Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection requires one of the following Microsoft Volume Licensing offers:

Windows 10 Enterprise E5
Windows 10 Education E5
Microsoft 365 E5 (M365 E5) which includes Windows 10 Enterprise E5
Microsoft 365 E3 (M365 E3) with Identity and Threat Protection package
See note below from article, device has to he MDM registered not azure ad domain joined and I have tons of these working fine that are not domain joined and are mdm registered.

It's important to note that Azure AD registered devices is not supported in this scenario.
Only Intune enrolled devices are supported.
Yes, if you simply go to system info it should list the windows version, that needs to say windows 10 enterprise E5, regardless of build number, it could also say windows enterprise E3 and work if you purchased the security and compliance addon to Microsoft 365 E3. Also ensure you are mdm enrolled, when in doubt turn on auto enrollment and azure ad domain join the devices.

@Jerod Powell Mine is somewhat ambiguous and simply states "Windows 10 Enterprise".  Similarly, under Settings - Update & Security - Activation it states "Windows 10 Enterprise" and "Windows is activated with a digital license".  I assume it's the assigned E5 license, but I don't know for certain.

@Philip Kluss To check if you have Windows 10 E5 (or A5 for EDU's), or MTP E5, are you able to login to SecurityCenter.Microsoft.com and see your Windows 10 1607 or newer enrolled there?