Deploying Office 365 ProPlus with Microsoft Intune

Community Manager

We have been hard at work with Office 365 and Windows 10 teams to create Microsoft 365, a modern workplace solution that empowers everyone to be creative and work together, securely. We are excited to announce the latest innovation in this space – the ability to deploy Office 365 ProPlus applications to Windows 10 devices from the cloud with Intune. This development marks the first step towards having simple and enterprise-ready ProPlus deployment capabilities with Intune with more enhancements to come in the near future.

We worked to make it easier for you to select specific Office 365 ProPlus apps (using Click-to-Run or C2R technology), deploy them to enrolled devices running Windows 10 Creators Update, and view deployment metrics through the new Intune portal on Azure. This works nicely with Windows AutoPilot that enables employees to get their new devices work-ready by just providing their company credentials during OOBE while Azure AD and Intune work in the background to register the device, deploy the necessary configurations, and now also install Office 365 ProPlus apps.

image_thumb119.png

Read more about it in the Enterprise Mobility & Security blog.

6 Replies
Great new feature I have started to share with my customers

Great new, @Juan Carlos González Martín. Let us know the first impressions :)

Any plans to add the Teams desktop client to this capability?

Great question, Paul. Maybe @Vladimir Petrosyan may speak to the Roadmap? If not planned yet, sounds like an idea for https://microsoftintune.uservoice.com/ 

Hi Paul - please stay tuned for announcements in this space. I cannot share specific details at the moment.

Thank you,

Vlad 

We have found that this process nearly always fails, because of conflicting installations already on the machine. Even on brand new "clean" Windows 10 machines. To workaround this problem, we have been removing the typical conflicts with the following Powershell:

$Packages = 'Microsoft.Office.OneNote','Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub','Microsoft.Office.Desktop' | Get-AppxPackage -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
$Packages | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers

What I would prefer, is to install (or ensure that it is installed) one of those Appx packages which we are occasionally finding on new machines "Microsoft.Office.Desktop". Is this possible?

Does anyone know where I can find the "Microsoft.Office.Desktop" Appx package?

I have also asked this question here and at StackOverflow.