Home

What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

Ammar Hasayen
MVP

What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

Hi guys, I know everyone has his favorite packing tips, and it would be great if we share it. I put my favorite packing tips in this post. Please add your comments with your own tips.

https://me.ahasayen.com/what-to-pack-for-microsoft-ignite/

What to pack for Microsoft Ignite 1.PNG

23 Replies

Re: What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

thank you for posting this.

RE: What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

Great tips! I want to reiterate the one that I find most important... Comfortable shoes! You will walk several miles a day.. those conference centers are huge! Also related, if you carry a should bag or backpack with you during the day, pack light! Nothing worse than lugging around 10 pounds of stuff all day that you don't use.

Many thanks for the shout out to my old post as Vecna from Channel 9 in 2015!    Their discussion was the absolute highlight of the year for me!

I liked your suggestions. I would add two about travel. First, take pictures of your luggage at the airport; if it gets lost, this makes it easier for the recovery agents to understand what is missing. This is doubly true if you lose your luggage while traveling abroad. This happened to me in East Asia, and the pictures made it easy for them to find my gear. Second (and for married folks this may seem obvious) , leave copies of your itinerary, flight numbers, hotel contact info, etc., in case of emergencies, for you or at home.

Re: RE: What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

Interesting.. Thanks for sharing !

As a new attendee I'll be blogging my thoughts too - I always bring a power strip with me to conferences - it is a good way to make friends....apart from those you trip up ;-)

I'm debating whether to bring my Lenovo p50s and/or SurfacePro 3 as the latter is way lighter but frankly the battery life sucks on both devices.    How prevalent are the power sockets normally or what do you normally use for  battery pack for your pc's - i'd have thought a portable battery pack would be pretty heavy and unportable.

Be sure to go on a diet before the conference because you will eat a lot!

You will eat/drink a lot but you will also walk a lot...I think it evens out. Bring your hockey equipment if you want to play on Saturday, there is a game.

Anybody organized morning running groups? I will want to get in a 10K most mornings and an interval session at least once. :-)

Does anyone have recommendations for a portable laptop battery bank that can be taken on the plane? There are a couple of 50,000mAh on amazon but it looks like they are too big to go on the plane per FAA recommendations (https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/med...)

I'm looking to power a Lenovo P50s and/or a Surface pro 3 and was looking to see if anyone has some personal recommendations for what they use already.

You might also want to check out @Jonathan McKinney's guide to Microsoft Ignite.

I would also add to his 'Taking Notes' recommendation that you look at the 'Trip Report' function when you build your schedule via MyIgnite - it exports all your chosen sessions into a Word document.

Networking opportunities are endless, don't forget you to take a look at the meetups available at Microsoft Ignite this year.  With the majority of these hosted by MVPs, expect a lot of interaction and lively discussion in these scheduled meetups!

Check back on the Microsoft Ignite blog for news and more tips - lots to share in the next 30 days!

Thanks Anna! Might have to make some additions to my blog... great suggestions!

or some reason your link to my blog isn't working here is the URL again http://blog.ucomsgeek.com/2017/08/tips-and-tricks-unofficial-party-and.html

Edited - thanks!

Hi everyone, thanks for all your contributions. Here is a list of articles about Ignite that can help out too:

https://me.ahasayen.com/category/microsoft-ignite/

just an update - I ended up getting the Poweradd 23000mAh battery pack http://amzn.to/2gNmDcU for $79 from Amazon as it fits the FAA recommendations. Testing with it allows me to charge the surface once from a full charge and leaves me with 18% battery charge which should be enough to give me phone a quick boost too.

It's a good thought.  I've been to two MS conference in Orlando, and the rooms always have outlets in the walls; just get there in time to pull up a chair.  I always bring a power strip so I can share it.  Plus that way I can stay plugged in the whole time.

Check out @Laura Rogers' tips as shared on the Microsoft Ignite Facebook page!

What do you use if you don't have business cards to hand out? 

Take a photo of their attendee badge (with their permission of course) :)

@Margaret Rogers If you don't have business cards you could get them printed same day at Staples or online with some company like Vistaprint. you could design a logo on your phone and then ask people to scan the image on your phone into theirs (although that's not as efficient BUT it does mean your card is less likely to get lost by the recipient.) Alternatively you could beam your details from a smartphone - if you can find someone able to work out the two contact beaming programs on the two different phones ;-)

Thanks

Re: RE: What to Pack for Microsoft Ignite?

Thanks!
Related Conversations
What are known folders ???????
stev Wolf in Office 365 on
4 Replies
EXCEL CHANGES DATA AFTER SCENARIO IS SHOWN
V. K. in Resources and Community on
4 Replies