SOLVED
Home

Introducing Harjit Dhaliwal – Microsoft Ignite Community Reporter

Highlighted
Harjit Dhaliwal
MVP

Introducing Harjit Dhaliwal – Microsoft Ignite Community Reporter

Hi, I’m Harjit Dhaliwal! I’m a Senior Systems Administrator in the Higher Education sector focused on Microsoft technologies such as ConfigMgr, SCOM, Windows Server, Windows OSes, Patch Management, as well as VMware View VDI infrastructure.

Harjit Dhaliwal - MVP and Microsoft Ignite Community ReporterHarjit Dhaliwal - MVP and Microsoft Ignite Community Reporter

I'm a Microsoft MVP in Windows and Devices for IT category and I’ve been a member of Microsoft Ignite and TechEd Roundtable teams, and recently a member of the IT/Dev Connections Steering Committee. I'm honored to be selected as a speaker at Microsoft Ignite 2017 and have had the pleasure to speak at technology-focused user groups and in local communities.

I'm active in the social media scene where I'm often referred to by my peers as a valuable influencer and a technology evangelist. I founded Tech Konnect, a group that provides important technical info, updated tech news, peer support, and collaboration for IT Pros. I also help manage social media platforms, as a volunteer or a consultant, for several technology groups, non-profit organizations, local communities in Vermont, and The Krewe, which is a great community organized IT Professional group and highly influential in the industry.

On the side, I’m a Professional Photographer. I work as a freelance photojournalist for a few local newspapers in Vermont, and volunteer with AFS USA, a global exchange student organization. I’m multilingual in English, Punjabi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian, and a little French. I love to travel and meet people.

You can find me on:

Q&A with Harjit:

What do you think your most valuable skill is? Why?

Harjit: I’m a great technical evangelist and a respected community influencer, especially in the technology field. I have the knack for information, and I’m able to efficiently seek it out, which ultimately provides valuable data for IT Professionals in their day-to-day lives in terms of staying current in the technology industry, solving technical issues, and connecting them with industry experts.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone just starting their career in IT, what would you tell them?
H: You will make mistakes! Take ownership and learn from them, which will help improve your technical workflow.

Tech communities are incredibly active. What role do these communities play in your career?
H: They provide a great source of knowledge, a huge support mechanism, and a venue for networking with IT Professionals.

How do you stay up-to-date with changing technologies and updates?

H: Social Media is one of my main sources of information when it comes to changing technologies and updates. Twitter is an IT Pro’s best friend! I also read many articles, newsletters, and participate in forums such as Microsoft Tech Community.

What advice would you give to a first-time Microsoft Ignite attendee?
H: Wear comfortable shoes ‘cos you’ll be walking quite a bit during the week. Hydrate and wash your hands often to avoid getting sick. With lots of people and lots of handshaking, there’s enough germs to go around. Pace yourself with the sessions and don’t try to hit a session in every available time slot. You are bound to burn out quickly. Take some time for yourself to rest, recompose, jot down info from sessions, and take the opportunity to network with attendees, speakers, and vendors.

Outside of the sessions, what part of Microsoft Ignite 2017 are you most looking forward to?

H: The evening social events to network with IT Pros and to enjoy good drinks and food. I also look forward to meeting up with several of my friends and rekindle some past relationships. I’m also excited to be a MVP Community Reporter which is going to be a lot of fun.

What are you packing for Microsoft Ignite?

H: I'm definitely packing a few portable battery charges, a selfie stick, good shoes, some shorts to beat the Orlando heat, some personalized stickers to hand out, some Vermont gifts, and my infectious smile!

Why should people follow you for Microsoft Ignite coverage?
H: If you’re not following the best person (me) who provides the best coverage, then you’re going to miss out! Follow or bust!

What was your biggest takeaway from last year’s event?

H: Networking with the IT Pro community, which has been an essential resource for me over the past year in helping to resolve some technical issues and learning from peers on how they implement and use similar tools and products in their organizations.

21 Replies

Re: Introducing Harjit Dhaliwal – Microsoft Ignite Community Reporter

Looking good Harjit!

Thanks Steve!
Solution

Published a personal blog post for this announcement.

http://harjit.us/2017/08/microsoft-ignite-2017-community-reporter/

MSIgnite_TechCMU_OFT_header_Host_02.png

Awesome! Looking forward to your coverage and to meeting you again!

Thanks Patrik. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon. Bork bork!

I follow Harjit on social media, and his contributions are humongous. I also had the pleasure to met him in person at MMSMOA this year. He's a great and competent man, and I'm looking forward to Harjits coverage of Ignite. 

Thank you very much, Anders. :-)

Great page Harjit. I look forward to meeting up again at Ignite this year and sharing some tech news from the year past. Keep up the great work with Tech Konnect and Social Media.

Awesome buddy. Keep up the good work.

That is awesome Harjit! Can't wait to see you at Ignite!

Congrats on all the Ignite opportunities. See you there!

I would add 'Great communicator' to valuable skills. Maybe Harjit is just being modest. 

If you will be at Ignite this year I would highly suggest seeking Harjit out. Great guy, good friend, and one of the communities most active members. 

I have collaborated with Harjit on a few occasions with issues related to ConfigMgr. His resource pool is endless.  If you combine that with the Tech Konnect community, Harjit is one of the best intermediaries linking information to technical resources. 

Cool stuff Harjit!!

As always I'm waiting to see you again at Ignite and TechMentor!

Sami

Congrats on the Community Reporter Gig Harjit. You better bring an extra set of sneakers this year because you're going to be extra busy! See ya in Orlando!

Awesome My Friend :)

Looks awesome Harjit! I've learned quite a bit through the community organizations you help run. Thanks for all you do!

Thats awesome Harjit! Looking forward to meeting up and having a chat at Ignite!

That is fantastic Harjit! Can't wait to see you at Ignite this year.

Congratulations Harjit. This will be your busiest ignite yet. Look forward to hanging out with you in Orlando and being in your Ignite sessions.

Congrats on the community reporter gig. Great to see you at MS Ignite 2017!