Home

Planning a seamless migration from Skype for Business to Teams for IT Admins

Community Manager
Come learn about how to successfully transition your organization from SFB to Teams. We will discuss core technical concepts of the upgrade, including paths that customers can take to get there, guidance around picking the right path for your organization. Understand coexistence advantages and limitations.

Check this session out in the Ignite Session Catalogue
Session Code
BRK3142
Speaker
Francois Doremieux, BJ Whalen
Session Type
Breakout: 75 Minute
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Modern Workplace-Plan & Optimize Teamwork
Format
Customer Showcase
Level
Advanced (300)
Show less
6 Replies
The skype online & hybrid requirements are a nightmare. Especially when you cant have multiple hybrids per tenant :( And the approach with two clients for backwards compatibility with skype meetings? How hard would it be to learn teams client join skype meetings? Ugh
Session Code
Session Type
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Format
Level
Show less
Hi @Michal Verner, I want to make sure I understand your comments (not sure I see a question :)).
Session Code
Session Type
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Format
Level
Show less
With respect to backwards compatibility, it would be very, very hard, changing the entire authentications stack, protocols, and UX design, reimplementing features, etc. Also would need to retrain users to a new (temporary) way of using Teams that would be neither Teams nor SfB. I am not sure what the value of that would be since users can seamlessly join an SfB meeting with an SfB client as they have always done. Can you please explain?
Session Code
Session Type
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Format
Level
Show less
Highlighted

Hi @Francois Doremieux. It was more of a .. sigh.. A frustrated one :) The company I represent is a 40k seat European banking industry customer and due to our design/MS Supportability, we currently cannot onboard with all the business entities into Skype Online. So we were looking at Microsoft Teams with a hope to see light at the end of the tunnel. Now, on that session I heard two things that go against what I expected. 1st and the most important one for us is that we cannot consume features that have to do with federation unless we migrate our users to Skype Online/Skype Hybrid. For us, that's a dealbreaker, since you can only have one Hybrid and we're in fact multiple ADs & Multiple Skype Onprems + 1 hybrid. And we need the federations to talk to eachother. So that was the comment about Hybrids.

Now the second one was on your reaction on how quickly you dismissed the question from the audience about the ability to join Skype meetings from the Teams client directly. In my eyes, the fact that it's not going to be possible is actually quite distruptive to the end user experience with the service. When you think about that, you can sell the fact that Skype features are going to be delivered by the Teams to your users only if that's really true. If an additional client is required for that feature(and there will be businesses/partners that will need to retain S4B for whatever reason) I'm loosing my selling point that what I'm about to bring to my userbase is in fact a replacement that is better. We're now talking about what ~10 years where we'll have end user experience split around two pieces of SW, two different UIs, to join meetings based on a Microsoft platform, whether it's cloud or on premise? (because we're forced maybe by our federation partners?) I can influence what happens in my company, but I can't talk about our partners. So our desktop team will have two apps that they'll need to manage, upgrade, package, virtualize, whatever they do with it to deliver a single meeting experience. So that's why the second sigh... In your other post, you talk about how complicated would it be for you to bring the feature to the teams app. I thought Microsoft was always about backwards compatibility and overcoming the challenges. I can run a DOS program I wrote 25 years ago on my Surface, yet, I won't be able to join federated meetings in a single UI experience. I don't care personally, I can work like that. It's all about our users. They're spoiled by the unified experience they had up to now.

Anyway. I'll follow up on 1. with our PFEs, if you'd like to know more, I'm more than happy to engage you or some of your team members in the discussion, we're always struggling with getting some feedback/statements from the PG.

Session Code
Session Type
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Format
Level
Show less
On the other hand, I was quite impressed when you guys explained the option where you can disable the skype features in teams app to allow for a smooth transition, and let the end users familiarize themselves with Teams, that's a very nice approach and *THIMBS UP* for that :)
Session Code
Session Type
Product
Show more
Audience
Personas
Topic
Format
Level
Show less
Session Code
Session Type