Limit number of responses on a form

Brass Contributor

It would be really useful to be able to retrict the number of responses to a form.  I use microsoft forms as an ordering device for food and need to be able to limit the number of responses (in a similar way as setting the end time)

It would also be extremely useful to get a notification when a form is completed and for the form filler to get a notification summary of how they have resonded. 

39 Replies
A setting for a max number of responses would be very useful.

Hi Erica,

Some of these options do exist under "..." menu and "settings" but perhaps could be refined further.

See below

forms.png

You can make suggestions and upvote on the official Forms uservoice forum here: https://microsoftforms.uservoice.com/forums/386451-welcome-to-microsoft-forms-suggestion-box

In addition to limiting the number of responses to a whole form, it would be helpful to limit the number of people choosing a particular response to a question. For example, we'd like to create a sign-up sheet with multiple activity options, but each activity is limited to 16 people. We'd love to have an option disabled as a choice when it reaches the max number of people choosing it.

Have you looked at Microsoft Bookings?  It may be a better tool suited for scheduling and event signups.

I'd love to.... if it was available to EDU tenants.
Exactly... Google has an add-on called form limiter that does this. I would like to do the same thing and have a sign up form that limits the number of spots available for a particular choice.

In any schoolorganisation this is a key feature. Totally agree with this request.

In a schoolorganisation there is to little money to spend on such luxuries as Bookings. Forms it a good alternative if only they would give us the option to make a limited subscribe option.

Yeah, that's not what we are asking for.

I also would like this so that I can limit the number of signups to fit the room cap. For now, I have to find another solution that does this because I can't overbook an event sign up when the room itself ha a capacity. 

It would be nice if there was a way to limit the number of times somebody can respond on a form.  For example, I use it for students to sign out of the room.  I would like to limit the number of times to 4 a quarter.  Any suggestions??

Put some sort of approval or validation after the form is completed so the form is a request but the recipient has to get an approved email first. To do this, use Flow to capture when a form is completed and write the data to a SharePoint list, you would add a step to query the list to get previous bookings or request for the room or the person using the Odata filter, then just add a condition on the count of the returned items from SharePoint and send either apporved or declined email. You could also add an email to yourself when a limit for a room booking is reached so you can put an end date on the form to stop further submissions.

Hi Alan,

It is nice to get an answer to a request I've had ever since I'm using Forms. Your solution seems okay as far as I understand your solution, I'm not that big on Flow and Sharefilelists and filters. 

I do not know how to capture a Form with Flow, how to sent data from Forms to a SharePoint list, I never heard of an Odata filter so you see although I logically understand your answer (make a datalist, check it, send an email) as do I understand how my bicycles work but, sadly, that doesn't mean I kan build them.

So your answer is very much apreciated but I'm afraid it will take me the better part of a few days before I'll be near a replication of your solution. 

Hi Alan,

It is nice to get an answer to a request I've had ever since I'm using Forms. Your solution seems okay as far as I understand your solution, I'm not that big on Flow and Sharefilelists and filters. 

I do not know how to capture a Form with Flow, how to sent data from Forms to a SharePoint list, I never heard of an Odata filter so you see although I logically understand your answer (make a datalist, check it, send an email) as do I understand how my bicycles work but, sadly, that doesn't mean I kan build them.

So your answer is very much apreciated but I'm afraid it will take me the better part of a few days before I'll be near a replication of your solution. I hope I will have some days in the coming months, to try to make this work, but that will not be very likely.

Thank you very much for reacting, it was very nice thing to do.

I created this example that you can use to create the Flow. 

I have a basic form with one question but can be more that runs to a particular day.  Each person can only respond once (for testing I turned this off).

Training Session Form.PNGCreate the Flow trigger by item added with actions for getting form responses, get list items, condition on item count and then either email "no space" or get user details and add to SharePoint.

Flow to add attendee if space.PNG

If the get items, I created a Filter query: Course eq 'Forms and Flow training' this would match whatever you store in the Create item action.

The condition formula is length(body('Get_course_attendees')?['value']).  To create this, select Expression from the field selector that pops up and select length.  Then click on Dynamic content and pick the Value field corresponding to the name of your Get Items action.

I then check if its 1 as I only have space for 1 person on my course, you would obviously put in a higher number.

You can also use values from the form in your SharePoint filter query. filter query documentation

I exported the flow as well that is attached for you to import.

Office Forms 365

Example: Nominations Form, 11 candidates, 5 spots to fill. 

We have a form that list all 11 candidates and have to fill five spots, so we are asking the council to vote for only five candidates. Is there a way to limit the selections to go no higher than five choices allowed?

Could you restructure your questions?

Have 5 questions, each with the same 11 candidates. Also allow for an empty/no response so they can vote for less. Gathering the statistics would be harder but that would give you the only 5 choices.

Alan, that is really great stuff. Do you have a screenshot of the SP list you are preforming the filter query on? 

I am trying to limit the number of people signing up for a class to 8. The only column in my list the tile: the attendee's email address that I get from the form. The only question on the form is "would you like to sign up for the next training?"
This class will occur every two weeks, and I am trying not to create a new form and flow 26 times a year...

Thank you for this reaction an explanation. I’m going to try this,  it looks doable :)