SOLVED

Forms: Notification when answers have been given

Brass Contributor
It would be great if you could choose a notification setting. Eg. send a notification(email) for each answer or send a notification after 20 (or any given number) answers have been given.
44 Replies
Thanks Dean. This looks quite useful. I still hope that the Forms team decidea to build email notifications in, but will investigate using a Flow trigger in the meantime.

You are welcome. From what I can tell, many of the applications are going to provide integration points with Flow which give us the ability to create the specific type of notifications we need. While this is more work for us, it will give us more control and options. 

This is great, does everything I need it to, and I like that I can customise the notifications with relevant dynamic content. Instantly makes Microsoft Forms a much more usable thing!

Also, the Forms for Excel feature is even better. Having form submissions automatically update a shared Excel file means we'll actually be able to use it for logging jobs to our team, which will make a massive difference.

FWIW, our primary scenario is to provide a structured info capture tool to replace free-form input we would have to receive in an email.  This is a frequent use case for how requests are made between departments.  

As a potential solution the option to add to the form a static user, or distro list, indicating the notification recipient would be sufficient, provided that this email was sent at the time form submittal.  

Alternately, if we could fire a Flow based on creation of a new form response, we could manage it from there.  Flow would actually be more flexible, but either would work for our needs.  

Thanks.

... and I just now saw the July 26th post about Flow support. This should satisfy our use case.
Thanks much!

This feature is now available for me. I haven't seen any official announcements or release notes but it is there. Funny that it appeared so soon after the Flow integration. The abilitiy to check a box for email notifications is much more straightforward. I'm in an edu tenant on First Release, so it may show up for others a bit later, but it is coming...

Microsoft_Forms.png

I can confirm I also have the 'Settings | Options for responses | Email notification of each response' setting for Forms now, just tested it and the email notification worked. This is a great addition as it keeps 'Forms' simple to use for end users. 'Flow' is fantastic and it works great with 'Forms' so I will personally use that approach but this notification within 'Forms' cuts down on training requirements. Thanks to Microsoft for getting this implemented!  

It does support forms. Go to FLOW & search "Microsoft Forms". I'm currently using one to notify me when a quiz is completed.

Have you been able to display form responses within the e-mail notifications?

@Naftoli Jacobs, while I'm not sure the out-of-the-box notifications option within Forms allows responses to go through the message, the options you can use in Flow for Forms would allow you to drop responses in to an email to be sent upon a submission.

Thanks @Matt Coats
I tried the notifications with flow, and here are the two issues I've run into so far:

1. It took an hour to receive the notification
  2. I could not figure out how to add the form responses.

Are there any guides on setting the flow to work as soon as a response is received and how to drop the responses?

Naftoli

It would be very helpful if the results of the form, the entries, were sent to the individual filling out the forn.  For example, they enter their info on the form, click submt, then they get a verification with their entries on the form as back up. 

I spotted this. Used to have a Flow set up for a quiz I ceated. When I built the Flow it only had 2 activities, the first for Forms to define the actual form/quiz I wanted a notification for, via a drop down that listed all forms I had. The second, my email address, to identify which account to send the Notification to.

Went to rebuild the Flow the other day (new quiz) but there's no longer a dropdown option to selet the form and the Flow fails!

A year later and still no update for this feature. :( 

Hi Richard, don't give up hope yet.  I wanted to make sure you saw the responses above, to see if that satisfies your need.  It seems that there's both a Flow action that can trigger external notifications, and others have reported also seeing a checkbox available to email a notification.  

Do one of those do it for you, or are you thinking of another use case?

Office 365 Education Presentation Deck.pngThere’s now a feature in the settings of each form to allow for email notification on responses: 

Oh cool, I didn't see that, I will have to look for it. 

However, looking for a solution has introduced me to Microsoft Flow, which is a pretty intense solution. 

I suggest if you're a member of the IT community, to check out Microsoft Flow. 

I am still looking at how to email multiple people, beyond the creator of the form.

You'll need to hard-code recipients in Flow for that.

I believe I did that but unfortunately the Email wasn't sent. Not sure where my error is. I took a screen shot of how my flow is set. Thank you for such a quick response