Outlook Mobile App Voice Command Interface Missing

Copper Contributor

The Microsoft Outlook mobile Android/IOS application is good, but missing VOICE COMMAND INTERFACE like "OK Google"/“Siri”interface, conference call automatons, or any other voice command interface.

I’ve read online that Microsoft is strongly encouraging IT departments to enforce users to use the Microsoft Outlook Android/IOS mobile app blocking access to “Active Sync through Office 365 Server settings. The Active Sync approach allows users to route emails to native phone mail. Once routed to native phone you can use apps and voice command to perform all calendar commands hands free. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-...

Why does this matter?  Today, we’re required to join conference calls while traveling.  In the past using the Android/IOS active sync mail(Native Phone Mail App), we could issue voice commands to join the next meeting using hands free voice commands, never touching the phone.

The latest IT mandate to use the outlook mobile app requires a user to unlock the phone, click on calendar, locate the invitation, and manually key in the conference information (conference number + pass-code).  The manual entry to data reduces safety while traveling.  If you pull over in an unsafe location, like  the emergency lane on interstate, or side of road,  you run additional risk.  If you pull over to join a conference call and the cellular tower drops the call then you have to repeat this process again.

I’m not sure why Microsoft would encourage the mandate of the mobile Microsoft Outlook application which doesn't support voice command safety.  I agree the Microsoft Mobile Outlook application has significantly improved but not ready to replace the mobile tools travelers have been able to leverage to stay productive while traveling.

The response from some IT departments at the direction of Microsoft, is to pull over which is not always possible or safe!  This lack of voice command is encouraging unsafe practices while traveling. The AT&T “It can Wait” campaign is the right approach, but not always 100% possible with today's demanding work environments. 

0 Replies