Unhide macros

Copper Contributor
I have created and save a macro under the 'personal' workbook.. to my understanding, each time i open an excel file, i could execute the macro instantly.. BUT instead, i have to keep unhiding the macro each time i open a new excel file before i can use the macro.. is this normal? Is there a way where it's automatically available each time i open a new excel file?
16 Replies

Hi Helmi,

could you please clarify what you do to unhide the macro? If you open a file, then go to  Developer->Code->Macros, select either 'All Open Wookbooks' or 'PERSONAL.XLSB' in the "Macro in:" dropdown, can you see your macro listed in the 'Macro' window? 

Thanks

Yury 

Hi Yury,each time i open a new file, i cant see my macro in the dropdown as you how you mentioned.. i have to unhide it..so to see my macro, i have to open my 'personal.xlsb' which i have created a shortcut on desktop.. then go to the new workbook which i want to work on -> go to 'View' -> click 'Unhide' -> then only my macro will show under the dropdown.. i have to these steps each time i want to use the macro..
Hi Helmi,

Can you let us know what the macro does.

One option is to assign the macro to a Quick Access Toolbar button (or a keyboard shortcut). Then you can run it without opening the Personal Workbook.

Sorry to jump in on this Yury - I'm sure you'll forgive me ;)

Hi Helmi,

apart from what Wyn has mentioned, could you please double check if Personal.xlsb has been disabled by Excel. You can do it by going to Excel Options -> Add-ins->Select 'Disabled Items' in the 'Manage:' menu -> Go. If you can see Personal in the list, please enable it, then close the workbook, reopen again and check if you can now see your macros.

Yury

Hi Yury ,

Yes i did go to the 'disabled items' but nothing listed there.. this is the problem im facing.. i mean im able to use the macro, just few steps i have to do which i mentioned earlier.. quite tedious..haha..
Hi Wyn,

The macro is for me to save a set of steps which can be used with just a click of a button i assign for my future use.. so i dont have to keep going through the long steps each time i open a new workbook.. its a repitition of steps with a click of a button.. it saves me a lot of time..
Hi Yury ,

Yes i did go to the 'disabled items' but nothing listed there.. this is the problem im facing.. i mean im able to use the macro, just few steps i have to do which i mentioned earlier.. quite tedious..

Hi Helmi

Do you have the Developer Ribbon showing in Excel?

Also try this:
Right Click on the Excel Ribbon (menu)
> Customise Quick Access Toolbar
> Popular Commands drop down
> Macros

Can you see PERSONAL.XLSB "your macro name"

No unfortunately im unable to..

Those macros should be visible. Do you happen to have Option Private Module at the top of the module with your macro, or dos the macro start with the word "Private".

'Option private module' ? Could you elaborate? My macro doesnt start with private..
I've been doing trial and error.. up to this stage, i dont need to click 'unhide' anymore.. but before i could see my macro, i have to click/open the 'Personal' excel file before returning to my new excel file to see my macro reflected in it..

Hi Helmi,

it looks like the Personal.XLSB does not load when opening Excel. Could you please check the steps in the following article to see if it helps:

https://excelribbon.tips.net/T012233_Personal_Workbook_Fails_to_Load.html

Yury

Hi Yury,

Thank you for your time and effort.. very much appreciate it.. still it doesnt work after following the steps.. i think i will just leave it as it is..i mean its just 1 extra step for me which is to just double click on the 'personal workbook' which i have shift it to my desktop before i can see my macro in the new workbook.. i'll just leave it as it is for now..

I am new in macros. Please let me know how to un-hide macro for editing.

@sargana84ag1260 

Enable or disable macros in Office files

A macro is a series of commands that you can use to automate a repeated task, and can be run when you have to perform the task. This article has information about the risks involved when you work with macros, and you can learn about how to enable or disable macros in the Trust Center.

Warning: Never enable macros in an Office file unless you're sure what those macros do. Unexpected macros can pose a significant security risk. You don't have to enable macros to see or edit the file; only if you want the functionality provided by the macro.

Edit a macro

To edit a macro that is attached to a Microsoft Excel workbook, you use the Visual Basic Editor.

Important: Before you can work with macros, you have to enable the Developer tab. For more information, see Show the Developer tab.

Hope I could help you with these information / links.

NikolinoDE