SOLVED

Windows Server 2016 support

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Windows Server (2016) OS is often used for session-based virtual desktops. (e.g. Citrix or RDS); Compared to Windows 7 (EOES in 2020) server-based desktops will live with us way longer. (Windows Server 2012 R2 EOES: 2023, Windows Server 2016: 2027) Is there any plan to support any of these?

Thanks

Lukas

10 Replies

We are actively looking into a support statement for Server editions.  We expect to have more news in Q1 2019, although it might be more towards Server 2019.  Stay tuned.

John Vintzel

Program Manager Lead, MSIX

As a developer of enterprise software that needs to be installed on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Server 2012, Server 2016... This is a tough pill to swallow. I'd like to invest in the MSIX future, but with having to support these older OS for enterprise clients, I can't see us choosing MSIX until there is broader support. Just wanted to send this feedback along to your team, and see if there is any plans for broader support?

Your feedback is understood.  We are working on an installer for previous versions of Windows as discussed at ignite.  It is currently in preview and expected in 2019.  

https://github.com/Microsoft/msix-packaging

John.

Hi John,

MSIx are support now Windows 2016 (1607) and Windows Server 2012 R2 ?

Thanks

Julien

best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

We annouced support for 1709 and later Windows 10 client OSes.  The other down-level installer is in preview and under development still.  The project is on GitHub if you are interested in seeing more.

John Vintzel (@jvintzel)

Old Password Still Usable After Password Changed (When using Active Directory)

i follow the link bellow but it not working.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/windows-security/new-setting-modifies-n...

@tuanpm094 The reply does not seem related to the current discussion.

John.

dear sir I get kernel security check error in win server 2016 and 2019 please help to resolve @Lukas Pravda 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Vintzel (Microsoft)
Solution

We annouced support for 1709 and later Windows 10 client OSes.  The other down-level installer is in preview and under development still.  The project is on GitHub if you are interested in seeing more.

John Vintzel (@jvintzel)

View solution in original post