Welcome to the Inclusive Classroom community for Microsoft Education!

Microsoft

Hi everyone, we're excited to now have a space dedicated to Inclusive Classroom for EDU. My name is Mike Tholfsen, and I'm Principal Product Manager on the Microsoft Education product team in Redmond, WA. 

This community is a place for you to ask questions about others' experiences, share ideas, learn best practices, hear about product updates, collaborate with others using our Inclusive Classroom technologies, and have direct interaction with the product and engineering teams.

We're so excited you've joined us and look forward to your posts and contributions to the community. 

If you have any questions about the community, please ask them below :) 

16 Replies
Looking forward to connecting with other educators to support ALL learners through the use of inclusive, accessible technology solutions
Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this forum and discussion!

@Mike Tholfsen wrote:

Hi everyone, we're excited to now have a space dedicated to Inclusive Classroom for EDU. My name is Mike Tholfsen, and I'm Principal Product Manager on the Microsoft Education product team in Redmond, WA. 

Nice to meet you, Mr. Tholfsen!

This community is a place for you to ask questions about others' experiences, share ideas, learn best practices, hear about product updates, collaborate with others using our Inclusive Classroom technologies, and have direct interaction with the product and engineering teams.

Awesome! I love the culture of collaboration expressed here.

We're so excited you've joined us and look forward to your posts and contributions to the community.

I'm super excited, too!

If you have any questions about the community, please ask them below :)

I guess my main questions right now relate to using mixed reality to make learning more accessible to students with special needs and help increase achievement of their IEP goals. How is this currently being done, and what goals can we shoot for in the future? Is there a DevOps crew devoted to this specific topic already? If so, can I join? :)

I also wanted to just introduce myself quickly. You can read my full story in my profile if you're really bored and need to kill some time, but in a nutshell:

• I taught public, high school biology for five years in Arizona.
  • I worked at an inclusive school and had a large percentage of special ed students in all of my classes.
  • I was pretty passionate about and quite successful at providing effective instruction to these students.
  • I was forced to medically retire and decided to start a business selling my art online.
  • Designing my website introduced me to the world of computer programming and its infinite applications.
  • I'm teaching myself to become a developer so I can still serve a purpose in the education sector, particularly by using VR to increase engagement and increase accessbility of content for all learners.

(Yes, that's really my short version! LOL)

Thanks for reading and thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm so looking forward to what we can accomplish through collaboration in this community!

Happy to be here to learn, share, and be connected to amazing educators who share the same interests. I am super-enthusiastic about how much I can learn in this community!

@Mike Tholfsen Hi - I like the new arrangement in Teams panel listing OneNote, Assignments, Grades, Insights (although) I do not need frequent access to the last two. BUT

When setting up my class onenotes this year, I choose to have channels create new sections in CONTENT LIBRARY and have these pages unchangeable by students. By rearranging the pages, especially the top page in a channel section, I could create a default channel home page.

Today, checking the new arrangements, I find that the Content Library pages, previously created in channels can only be viewed in the whole OneNote link - not necessarily a bad thing - but now linking on notes in a channel defaults to COLLABORATION SPACES sections. This has messed up my previously set up channel onenote pages. :crying_face:

Hi @Mike Tholfsen  I'm probably not in the right spot but where can I ask a question for the next "What's new in EDU" stream? And where can I find out when it will happen?

I have an urgent question. Embeding Stream on Sharepoint videos in OneNote doesn't work and Upload to the classic version of Stream has been disabled. Is Microsoft aware of this issue? Is it being worked on? I'm teaching in a mixed classroom and my teaching and my students are heavily reliant on the Videos I create and provide for them. Now that the videos are no longer embedded I'm forced to look for a different solution but I would like to keep using Stream bc of the "company access only" option.

It is a problem for a lot of educators and I can't find an official statement from Microsoft on this anywhere. What's going on?

@Educator2019 

Hi Educator2019. Your question interested me and so I dug a bit deeper in what is available to us. Check out item number 2 at this link: 30 updates for Microsoft 365 Education | August 2023 - Microsoft Community Hub

Essentially it says that they are aware and will be adding the feature you need soon.

Mitch Ravitz

@Mitch_Ravitz 

Thanks for your msg. Yeah Mike got back to me and they added it to the Tracker and it made it into the blogpost you mentioned. It's in the 2309 Version of OneNote and making it's way into the live version soon. Very happy with how fast they got on top of this. 

Is it a feature or is it a bug? Or is it only me?
I just discovered that the assignments dialogue box has been changed - looks nice, but when I try to add a page from the class notebook the page doesn't show if it is located to deep in the sections. Pages in _Teachers only/Random section may be added to the assignment and thus handed out to the students. But pages located in _Teachers only/section group/section can not be browsed and thus not added to the assignment. Is it a feature? A bug? Or only at my computer?
This is a bug that we have just fixed! Should be live soon. Thanks for pointing it out.
Yay! Super excited to tune in!

@Mike Tholfsen Hello! I'm a university writing instructor and I've been using Teams for education since fall 2020 with great success. 

I have two questions that I've been unable to find answers for: what does the "Bookmarked filters" tool do in Grades view? And, is it possible to set up a filtered view in Grades? For example, I've merged two course sections together in one Teams class but would like to sometimes view their posted grades as separate classes. Do tags or filters work in this part of Teams? 

Thank you! Sheri

@Sheri_B The bookmarks are a quick way for you to create saved filters and setup default views for you in the Gradebook. Let;s say you want to always filter to last 2 months or only want to show Homework Assignments, you can set the filter , and once it has been created , you can create a bookmark  so you have default filter each time you open the Grades app

LeifBrenne_0-1708113293775.png

Right now the Bookmarks works for Dates, Grading Categories and Hide/Show Inactive Assignments.