Post Password Change Office Application Prompting

Steel Contributor

After changed password Office applications (Word, Excel, etc...) prompting for login ever time applications restart and an O365 file is accessed.

This is on Office 2016 CTR, Win 10, non-Surface machines.

Any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks!

e

4 Replies

How long ago was the password changed?

It can take up to 24 hours for password changes to be reflected in all Office 365 services, so it's not an uncommon scenario to change your password but still have the old password work.

It has been over 72 hours.

Everything on the web is working great. It is just the client applications that seem to be stuck. Once the user is prompted they are able to work just fine.

It is like the creds are cached on the machine for the client applications. Or possibly where Office caches the "service" information that you see when you go to the backstage to save a file.

I saw that the Surface 3 Pro had this issue where there was a registery key change for cached identities. It "feels" like something like that (that sounded pretty technical :P).

That's a bit too long. I have had that scenario where the web worked fine but client apps would still prompt.
You could look at potentially deleting entries from the Microsoft Credential Manager, or failing that I'd suggest contacting support as they may be able to direct you to a KB article or actually troubleshoot it.

I have seen that here on numerous occasions. Someone changes their password. Logs out and back in again. They can get to Sharepoint, but openning a document prompts for an email / password.

I'm not sure what is the root cause, but going to the File / account in any of the office apps. find the sign out button and click it.

Then sign back in again gets you going again.

Happens randomly. Mixture of Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 here and I have seen it on each. Although the client is still using Office 2013.