How to ensure user is signed out with a shared computer?

Copper Contributor

Our school has deployed Office 365 and is experiencing problems where it is not possible for users to log out of the Forms application except through deleting all browser history.  Other users can log into office.com and access their email and other applications, but when they go into the Forms application the previous user is still logged in.  And there is no logout link from the Forms application page presented.

I opened a support case for this issue but it was closed and I was informed that if we need to deploy Office 365 on shared computers, we need to configure the browsers to either always use incognito mode or to delete all browser history (cookies) on closing the browser.

I subsequently opened a UserVoice suggestion to address this, but remain curious as to how other organizations are managing this issue.  Do you take the performance hit of forcing incognito/private mode on all devices?

Or am I squawking about nothing and it is just very uncommon to have shared computers with different users logging in and out of the Office 365 environment throughout the day?  Or do we need to standardize on only permitting Chrome?

2 Replies

Well, that's the reality for shared devices. Many of the O365 services use different caching mechanisms in order to reduce the number of login prompts, and on top of that there are indeed some issues with logout (depending on the app), which results in the observed behavior. And it can get even worse in federated/single sign on scenarios where you are automatically logged in with the windows credentials. Even in private session :)

What are the current possible pathways Microsoft, Tenant administrators, Corporate Infrastructure, Enterprise Business Systems, Developers, small IT shops, can take to fix the situation?