SOLVED

Office 365 Exams Retired 70-346 & 70-347

Silver Contributor

It was announced the Office 365 exams (70-346 & 70-347) are being retired, here are some further details and a few suggestions for those who are interested in these exams and what comes next. I took these exams earlier in the year, so I have a big interest in this topic, I don't have any insider information but have read up on the available information and I know even a month later some IT Pros have missed this news. This is all may be subject to change. I'll update this post with more information as needed.

February Update: Exam retirement extended until April 30, 2019. See this post for details.

Announced around Ignite 2018, Microsoft launched the new job role certifications and training.  This is to better reflect the work and tasks the people do in their day to day roles and the level of expertise that this requires as well as how this is tested.  

Exams retired.png

Here is a summary I have put together:

• Existing 70-346: Managing Office 365 Identities and Requirements exam is retired March 31, 2019
  • Existing 70-347: Enabling Office 365 Services exam is retired March 31, 2019
  • New replacement exams MS-100: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services and MS-101 Microsoft 365 Mobility and Security will soon be in beta
  • No apparent upgrade or transition path/exam is available because existing exams are considered equivalent to an 'associate' level where the new exams are an 'expert' level
  • New certification roles - Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator as well as Modern Desktop Administrator plus an option of Microsoft 365 Certified Fundamentals with more roles to come
  • No MCSE or MCSA
  • Content is broader covering all the elements of Microsoft 365 and how they work together 

Microsoft 365 Certifications.png

Here is how to navigate the new Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator role: 

Learning path.png

The immediate takeaway is that Microsoft 365 is the future and IT Pros should be looking closely at the overall value this provides and aligning their skills with this.  There will be further news to come but getting more familiar with Microsoft 365 is time well spent!

M365.png

What if you have started with the Office 365 exams already? If you are after the MCSA: Office 365 certification, you have until the end of March 2019 to complete both exams, assuming Microsoft doesn't extend this deadline. This still might be worth doing but it depends, without knowing what other roles might be added, it could be worth waiting, especially if there are limited training funds available and if you want to more future-proof your qualifications. 

M365 Training.png

While the Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator role is definitely worth aiming for, it's going to be a bigger investment compared to the current exams just because of the extended scope, the additional complexity and expertise it will require.  Microsoft does see this as a significant opportunity for IT Pros and a way to stand out in the job market. 

M365 Next Move.png

Further information

11 Replies
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

The exams retiring also means that the MCSA: Office 365 certification is retiring as well right? Also, do you know if the MCSA: Windows 10 will be retiring with the advent of the MD-100 and MD-101 exams?

Hey William, in case you didn't find this out already, yes the MCSA: Office 365 certification is retiring, the same applies for the MCSA: Windows 10, both retire March 31, 2019. Check the blog below for updates, there is still a lot developing news around this and the new role-based certifications.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/community-blog.aspx

Dear all,

I already earned the 70-346 and I'm still aiming for the 70-347 to earn the MCSA: O365
Will I be able to use the MCSA: O365 as start for further higher certifications?

Kind regards,

woelki

Hi woelki, just to point out you have until April 30 2019, to complete your MCSA Office 365, this is when the 70-346 and 70-347 exams are retired, which was extended by one month. 

Your choices for further certifications are dependent on what you want to do next, check this post for lots of details [Start with Our New Workload Certifications to Become a Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator] it includes the following:

Microsoft 365 Certified: Teamwork Administrator Associate

Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator Associate

Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate

Microsoft 365 Certified: Fundamentals

I put more details in this article, in case it helps -  Microsoft 365 Training and Certification. To be clear though there is no upgrade or transition exam from the MCSA: Office 365 to one of these new certifications.  That's not to say there won't be any overlap with some of the new exams and knowledge you have acquired already as part of your studies.  

I was under impression that MCSA certs never expire

That’s right, it’s stays on your transcript as a certification you earned indefinitely but these ones are retiring and no one can earn them after April 30:

MCSE: Mobility
MCSA: Office 365
MCSA: Windows 10

@Cian Allner Hi Cian Allner, I have already studied the 70-346 & 70-347 exam dumps, do you think I need to study again for MS-100 & MS-101?  Are the questions will still be the same?

@afnan04 Can't comment on that, that's not the way to do it, see Candidate bans on why!

70-347 is requirement for 'Collaboration and Content' competency. can anyone comment what exam will replace 70-347 as the requirement for Collaboration and Content? thank you
If I passed the 70-346 but haven't passed 70-347, can I use the 70-346 to replace the new MS-100 and just pass MS-101; or would I need to retake both MS-100 and MS-101?

@Antonio Guerra No, you’d have to start again, the are no Office 365 substitute or transition exams for those that have taken 70-346/347 unfortunately to Microsoft 365.  There are the new associate roles, one of which is needed along with MS-100 and MS-101 for the new enterprise administrator expert role.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Deleted
Solution

The exams retiring also means that the MCSA: Office 365 certification is retiring as well right? Also, do you know if the MCSA: Windows 10 will be retiring with the advent of the MD-100 and MD-101 exams?

View solution in original post