Export Excel data to a Sharepoint Custom List

Copper Contributor

How does one link Excel data (just 6-8 fields) to automatically fill columns in a Sharepoint list when the document is uploaded.  Is a connection library needed?

10 Replies

Hello,

you can create a SharePoint list from data in an Excel workbook, but after the list has been created, there is no further connection between the workbook and the list. It is a one-time thing only. So, when you add new data to that Excel workbook, this data will not show in SharePoint.

You can, however, show the SharePoint list in the datasheet grid and then manually copy and paste data from the Excel workbook to the SharePoint list, or instead of entering the data into Excel, just enter it straight into SharePoint. 

is there no way to replace or addend to the List?

Not with Excel. 

When you connect to SharePoint list with Power BI it actually connects to  a GUID. Does cutting and pasting direct to the SharePoint List Change this GUID?

The GUID identifies the list. Pasting data into the list does not change the GUID. Why should it?

It should not but our experience is that the Guids in Azure Data Catalog, Power BI, and Power Query do change in other circumstances that are not always Obvious which is why I asked the Question,
You might not be the person to ask but is there any plan to change the Power BI SharePoint list connection so that you can actually select the connection by the Table name? There by you could delete an republish a list SharePoint and tour Power BI connection would still work (so long as the List Name is the Same)

Copying and pasting from excel into a Modern Custom list does not appear to work anymore.  Can someone else confirm this.  I tried via Edge and Chrome.  Does anyone know of another way that does work for getting your excel data into a Modern Custom List.

Thanks in advance

Hi Christine,

To my knowledge that doesn't work with modern experience (so far), only with classic lists. The nearest user voice i found is https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/17804779-update-e...

Sergei,

Thanks for the info.  I will get our crew to up-vote in uservoice.

Christine

The original question is about linking Excel data to the SharePoint list. 

The last few posts in this thread veer off to a completely different topic. This is not related to the original question, so please use a new thread to discuss your other issues.