SOLVED

When I change values in one cell conected to a different sheet, values in the same column change

Copper Contributor

I have a sheet with values and a second sheet that uses the values from the first one. When I change the formula in one cell, the other cells from the same column get changed too even there is no formula connecting this two cells together. Also, it happens that the cell I am working on is not being highlighted. I know which cell I am standing on because I can see the formula, but the cell itself is not rounded. 

7 Replies
Hi Irene

Do you have a sample file that you can upload for us to see the problem?

Cheers
Damien

Hi Damien,

Please find attached two sheets from my file. There are highlighted the cells K15 and K16.  As you can see the cells don't give the value from the previous sheet as the other cells in the same row and with the same formula do. In that cell, I get only zero? 

Hi Irene

Thanks for uploading the doc. Makes it easier to see the problem.

From the look of row 15 in your second sheet, you have hard coded the formula with a file reference.

E.G. ='C:\Users\Korisnik\Documents\NUMERO\[pomoćno Lučka uprava.xlsx]STRUKT MAT.TROŠK'!I16

Where as the two cells you are asking about does not seem to follow the same formula.

To see if this fixes the problem, I have just autofilled the formula across from column I to columns J and K. This will keep it in line with the other formulas in row 15 and hopefully work again.

Please find the attached file.

See if this fixes your issue if not please let me know? I'm starting with a simple fix and we can work our way from there.

Cheers

Damien

Hi Damien,

When I look at the second sheet, there is #REF! error in the cells K15 and L15 although it shouldn't be.

best response confirmed by Irene Baricevic-Pasic (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Irene

I've had a closer look at your table of data on sheet 1 and I see the issue.

J and K columns have circular reference issues where cells are referring to themselves instead of the previous column.

E.g. in column J (number 9 heading) formula is =[@9]*1.02 when it should be saying [@8]*1.02.

I've corrected the issues (your data remains unchanged) and the results now show on sheet 2.

I do stress that your workbook has a number of issues with the formulas you are using, but for this issue, I believe you'll see it's fixed.

Suggest you copy column J and K from the workbook I have uploaded, and paste it into your original document and see how you go?

Let me know how this goes?

Cheers
Damien

Dear Damien, thank you for your help. I have copied the columns and the table is ok now. I need to pay more attention to the formulas!

Thank you for your support! Best regards.

Irene

Happy to help, Irene. If you could please mark the solution as best response, that will allow other visitors to learn of how to resolve these sorts of things.

All the best!

Cheers
Damien
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Irene Baricevic-Pasic (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Irene

I've had a closer look at your table of data on sheet 1 and I see the issue.

J and K columns have circular reference issues where cells are referring to themselves instead of the previous column.

E.g. in column J (number 9 heading) formula is =[@9]*1.02 when it should be saying [@8]*1.02.

I've corrected the issues (your data remains unchanged) and the results now show on sheet 2.

I do stress that your workbook has a number of issues with the formulas you are using, but for this issue, I believe you'll see it's fixed.

Suggest you copy column J and K from the workbook I have uploaded, and paste it into your original document and see how you go?

Let me know how this goes?

Cheers
Damien

View solution in original post