I need help creating a formula

Copper Contributor

I'm sure if this is do-able in excel, but what I would like to be able to do is pull a number from a master sheet which relates to a name (column A contains the name, column B contains the number) and enter the number next to the name in a new sheet or workbook. So basically I want the formula to recognise the name in the new sheet, find the corresponding name in the master sheet and enter the number in the adjacent column in the new sheet. I have attached an example. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

5 Replies

Try using a vlookup formula (see attached .xlsx file):

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(B2,Table1333463[[#All],[Horse]:[Master]],2,FALSE),"No Data")

Hope this helps!

Amazing! Thanks so much Matt, exactly what I was after. Really appreciate your help.

My pleasure, you're quite welcome. Glad you were able to get your issue sorted. Please feel free to post back to the community when ever you have another issue. Always happy to help.

Please may I get some help with one more formula? In the attached file, I have used the first formula to find the figures which have been inputted into column C. Some of these figures have a '?' or a '+' symbol next to them. What I want to be able to do is, enter that symbol into column F if it exists next to the figure in column C, but then I want to delete it from Column C so just the number remains. I'm not sure if this will work because if the presence of the symbol in column F relies on it's presence in column C, by removing it from C will most likely remove it from F? 

Archie-

? is a reserved wildcard character in Excel.  Therefore, in order to check to see if it is present in a cell you will need to use a "~" in front of it in the criteria (i.e. "~?").  Try using this formula:

Cell H144 =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("+",C144)),"+",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("~?",C144)),"?",""))