SOLVED

How to extract cell information based on another cell entry

Copper Contributor

I have an excel sheet with the following layout: My goal is to find each occurrence of a machine number that has a downtime equal to or greater than 4 hours and put that info Plus the reason into a separate table. I want to search by machine number find downtime =>4 and return each occurrence of the machine number, downtime and reason to a separate table to be used as a chart? I have tried MATCH, VLOOKUP, INDEX, MATCH but no joy as yet. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Machine # Run Number Downtime Reason for down time
1 x0 0.50 blah
2 xx0 3.80 blah blah
1 xxx0 7.50 blah blah blah
4 x000 2.10  
5 xxxx 1.40  
1 x0000 10.50 blah boo
7 0000x 4.00 boo blah

Machine # Downtime > 4 hrs Reason  
1 7.50 blah blah blah  
1 10.50 blah boo  
7 4.00 boo blah  
9 Replies

Try using this array formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$8,SMALL(IF($C$2:$C$8>=4,ROW(A$2:A$8)-ROW(B$2)+1),ROWS(B$2:B2))),"")

Confirm with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER and drag over to the right and then down

I've also attached an example file:

Thank you soooo! much Mike. It works great in the example. Now the problem is I am on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 with Excel for Mac 2016 and according to Office Support

COMMAND + SHIFT + RETURN
or
CONTROL + SHIFT + RETURN

Using this key combination should allow me to enter as an array formula, however, I have a no joy condition again, not to mention dragging to the right and down. Andy ideas?

Try Ctrl + Shift + Return

When you enter the formula correctly "curly braces" will show around the formula.

{=IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$8,SMALL(IF($C$2:$C$8>=4,ROW(A$2:A$8)-ROW(B$2)+1),ROWS(B$2:B2))),"")}

I am stuck here: this is the concept and formula thus far.

I have a table as structured in the screenshot. I want to extract the Line #, Downtime =>4, and Reason to a separate table to create a chart by line number. Using this formula {=IFERROR(INDEX(Line,SMALL(IF(Downtime=>E4,ROW(Line)-MIN(ROW(Reason))+1),ROWS($E$5:E5))),"")}. Just can't quite make it work. Could you offer suggestions

The difference in the first suggestion maybe because I did not represent my true worksheet layout.

Your screenshot shows up really small and is blurry when I enlarge it.  Is there anyway you can provide an example workbook with the same setup?  Please provide non-sensitive data.

So in as few words as possible. This sheet will be used as a template and gets created weekly. I want to extract; Machine Line #, Downtime  =>4, and cause data cells into a table or pivot chart that can be used to show downtime by machine and reason.

See my example charts.

One thing I did was highlight the data for the week then apply a filter of =>4, then copied that data to make the chart you can see. I am thinking there is a better way. 

best response confirmed by Benjamin Davis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ben-

Try this file.  I updated the array formula and added a dynamic named range that adjusts based on the array formula.  It looks at rows W2:W41 (i.e. 40 cells) and adjusted the range based on the difference:

myPivotRange

=OFFSET('Weekly Template'!$W$2,0,0,40-COUNTBLANK('Weekly Template'!$W$2:$W$41),3)

ExtractExample.png

Thank you so much for your continued assistance. This looks great so now to try and understand how each portion of the array formula works and this is the first I ever heard of a myPivotRange. So I shall try and see how it all works. But I believe you have solved the immediate need. Thank you again.

Glad to help!  Just be aware that myPivotRange isn't a standard Range.  It's a named range that I created to fit your needs.  If you want to know more about named ranges check out one of these links:

https://exceljet.net/lessons/how-to-create-a-named-range

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Benjamin Davis (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Ben-

Try this file.  I updated the array formula and added a dynamic named range that adjusts based on the array formula.  It looks at rows W2:W41 (i.e. 40 cells) and adjusted the range based on the difference:

myPivotRange

=OFFSET('Weekly Template'!$W$2,0,0,40-COUNTBLANK('Weekly Template'!$W$2:$W$41),3)

ExtractExample.png

View solution in original post