SOLVED

Conditional Formatting - using multiple formulas

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm struggling on how to use the conditional formatting function. 

I would like to achieve the following: change the colour of cells in column "I" when two things are true:

1. When the Activity "rowing" is selected in column "F" (from the drop down box); and

2. When the distance in column "I" is over 25(km).

I think i know which formulas to use if I want to do one or the other:

for 1.  =F10="rowing"

for 2.  =I11>25

but i cannot figure out how to combine both formulas to a cell or cells. 

Any ideas would be really helpful. I've attached a screeshot of the spreadsheet. 

Let me know if you need me to attach a copy of the spreadsheet itself.

Thanks very much

Soul

6 Replies
best response confirmed by Souleimene Kayoueche (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use the formula option to define the rule and use this formula:

=AND(F10="rowing",I11>25)

thanks so much - works perfectly.

Hi,

I've recently used a similar solution but have come across a new issue.

I have used one formula to change the font colour if the cell contains the text "complete" and another formula to add a light blue fill to the entire row if the word "odd" appears in a cell which is in a different column to the first formula.

The conditions seem to clash and although I have changed and played with the order of the conditions and checked there is no conflict in the fill/background or the font colour, even when changing the font colour manually again the fill from the second formula returns the font the cell to black although it is set to automatic in the conditional formatting rule with the fill?

I wonder where Im going wrong as everything suggests the two conditions should work fine together though when the fill is applied the font goes back to black when it should be green?

Have you any suggestions?

Hi,

I've recently used a similar solution but have come across a new issue.

I have used one formula to change the font colour if the cell contains the text "complete" and another formula to add a light blue fill to the entire row if the word "odd" appears in a cell which is in a different column to the first formula.

The conditions seem to clash and although I have changed and played with the order of the conditions and checked there is no conflict in the fill/background or the font colour, even when changing the font colour manually again the fill from the second formula returns the font the cell to black although it is set to automatic in the conditional formatting rule with the fill?

I wonder where Im going wrong as everything suggests the two conditions should work fine together though when the fill is applied the font goes back to black when it should be green?

Have you any suggestions?

Have you tried this:

- Open the rule that changes the fill color
- Click the format button
- On the Font tab, click the Clear button
- OK your way out.
Thanks so much Jan, can't believe the answer was staring me in the face the whole time :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Souleimene Kayoueche (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Use the formula option to define the rule and use this formula:

=AND(F10="rowing",I11>25)

View solution in original post