SOLVED

Cell-Dependent Formula That Can Skip Cells

Copper Contributor

I am trying to build a calendar wherein the days automatically update per the current day/month/year, but that the cells adjacent to those numbers are open for content.

Here is the formula I am using (thanks ExcelisFun!):

=IF(MONTH(COLUMNS($C3:D3)+(ROWS(D$3:D3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM)=Cmonth,COLUMNS($C3:D3)+(ROWS(D$3:D3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM,"")

As you can see, the cells populate with current day, month, etc. from my Names (see how this is done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG0sfxahdsU&t=717s). When I open the spreadsheet, the current month and all its days are smiling back at me.

Sweet.

But I want more. What I am looking for is a calendar for planning blog posts that updates each month to the current month (like it does now), but that I can add post titles next to the days they'll be posting on. Is there someway to jump every other cell with this formula without losing the integrity of the formula?

Also, I don't want to have to have an array of any sort, so INDEX is out. I tried INT, but I can't get it to accept the formula.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

Hello,

you can insert a column before the first column and between each calendar column. Then the first formula goes into cell B3 and goes like this:

=IF(LEN(B$2)=0,"",IF(MONTH((COLUMNS($A3:B3)/2)+(ROWS(A$3:B3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM)=CMonth,(COLUMNS($A3:B3)/2)+(ROWS(B$3:B3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM,""))

Copy down and across. 

2018-01-10_calendar with gap columns.png

The empty cells have the formula, too, but you can overwrite them without destroying anything. Be aware, though, that when the month rolls over, any text that you have manually typed into any cell will still be visible and you will need to clean up the data entries for the new month. 

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I’ll give it a shot when I’m back at the spreadsheet. Thank you for the tip!

Hello.

Well, I tried the formula just as you said, and nothing appears in any of the boxes. For some reason, the whole array comes out empty.

I tried deleting every other cell and even adding =TODAY in A3 and nothing changes.

Maybe I'm missing something? Your screen shot is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, so I know I'm close!

Are there any other formulas in your spreadsheet, maybe?

Thanks.

maybe I spoke too soon. I retried on a different page and it worked!
Thanks again for the tip!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ingeborg Hawighorst (MVP)
Solution

Hello,

you can insert a column before the first column and between each calendar column. Then the first formula goes into cell B3 and goes like this:

=IF(LEN(B$2)=0,"",IF(MONTH((COLUMNS($A3:B3)/2)+(ROWS(A$3:B3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM)=CMonth,(COLUMNS($A3:B3)/2)+(ROWS(B$3:B3)-1)*7-WDay+FOM,""))

Copy down and across. 

2018-01-10_calendar with gap columns.png

The empty cells have the formula, too, but you can overwrite them without destroying anything. Be aware, though, that when the month rolls over, any text that you have manually typed into any cell will still be visible and you will need to clean up the data entries for the new month. 

View solution in original post