Why is "Focused Inbox" suddenly disappeared?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

Until the end of 2016 our tenant had "Focused Inbox" activated. But since a couple of days, we're missing the separation of "Important" and "Other". When we can see all our messages in our Inbox-folder in Outlook 2016, we don't see these messages in OWA. What has changed?

26 Replies

I've got the exact same issue.

Focused inbox shows on my Outlook on iOS but no matter which browser I use on which computer (I've tried many, cleared caches etc) all I have is 'Inbox'.

And now all of a sudden I can access the clutter settings again - these settings were gone once Focused inbox arrived.

This is very concerning.

Do you also see an folder "Archived" in your mailbox? This folder appeared today. Who knows more about this?

Focused Inbox on Outlook for iOS or Android was available before beeing available in the desktop client.
Can you check if it's still enabled for your mailbox and at organization level?
Get-FocusedInbox -Identity <mailbox>
Get-OrganizationConfig | fl *focused*

Okay I did this:

Get-FocusedInbox -Identity <mailbox>

And it was set to false. How on earth could this happen when I had been using it for at least 2 months at the end of 2016?

I've set it it true now... how long should it take to start working again after that?

I noticed that when I disabled Clutter on a mailbox, this also disabled Focused Inbox, so this might have happened in your case.

Enabling Focused Inbox didn't enable Clutter.

I also did the same stuff:

- using the powershell commands

- disable/enable clutter

But nothing has changed. It is very strange that this "Focused Inbox" feature is also disappeared at some other tenants.

Yes, I'e done the powershell commands yesterday and focused inbox is enabled on accounts an the whole company.

I can see focused inbox on iOS Outlook

I can see all the inbox emails in Outlook 2016

I cannot see the 'Other' emails in my inbox in OWA, in any browser.

Interetestingly in OWA I can find emails from the 'Other' folder when I search for one that I know is in Outlook 2016, and it says it's in 'Inbox' but when I go out of search back to the Inbox, the emails are not visible.

Just a couple of minutes ago, my "Focused inbox" appeared in my OWA. Also our other users are now ok.

No luck for me yet. It's annoying having to open Outlook 2016 just to see emails that are in the 'other' folder because they are hidden from view in OWA. 

I have Outlook 2016 installed, but don't really use it... I live in OWA.

"Other" is not really a folder. It's a place where the email client displays emails that are in Inbox, but which have some properties that identifies them as not very important or urgent.

If you use MFCMAPI to check the contents of the Inbox folder you will also see the emails that are in "Other", so it's a bit strange that OWA doesn't display them. Maybe it's a browser issue. Try clearing your cache or using another browser.

@Victor Ungureanu I have tried multiple browsers on multiple systems. The same thing happens. I can only see emails that would normally be in the 'Other' folder if I look in the Inbox in Outlook 2016.

Oddly, my iPhone and iPad using Outlook iOS (latest version as of Jan 10/2017) still displays 'Focused' and 'Other', with emails being separated into both as expected.

It's just OWA that is not working, because Outlook 2016 does not have the Focus feature yet.

Everything was working fine for the 6-8 weeks I had Focused Inbox when I was prompted to opt-in to it. I go away for 2 weeks over Christmas, where it was on my phone the whole time, I login to OWA and bang... gone!

I think you should open a support ticket. This might not solve by itself anytime soon, so there is no reason to keep waiting.
Hello Jason,

Do you still have this issue?

yes I do and it's very annoying.

Can you tell me in private what's the number of the service request, if you have one, or the email address of the affected mailbox?

I am able to see Focussed inbox in OWA but not in my Outlook desktop app.

It appeared for a couple of days and suddenly disappeared.

How can i get it back?

Make sure you comply with the requirements listed here:

https://blogs.office.com/2016/07/26/outlook-helps-you-focus-on-what-matters-to-you/

Most likely you don't have Modern Authentication enabled for Exchange.

I am on 1705 Microsoft Channel

Can I check if Modern Authentication is enabled if I am not an office 365 admin? 

I get the below error.

Get-OrganizationConfig : The term 'Get-OrganizationConfig' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct
and try again.