SOLVED

xls password error any way of copying the s/sheet to a new doc. without transferring locked cell

Copper Contributor

So my password is not working and I am unable to use my much needed spreadsheet - I am having a melt down. Is there a way to copy the sheet to to a new document with transferring the locked cells.

TIA

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Andria Goldson (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If this is a worksheet password, Select all, copy, paste to new sheet. Values only are transferred for hidden formulas. If it's a workbook open password, only forensic hacking tools can open them. Can you back to an older backup?
Thanks P, it did not work but we were able to do a restore from a few days prior.

I did this once myself where I mistyped my password when I set it. I was able to open the file in an older version of OpenOffice that wasn't compatible with the password system of the version of office I was using and it imported everything for me that way, and I was able to save it again without a password from OpenOffice and then open it in Excel and edit it again. It's a long process that requires getting the open source software, but it might work if you're lucky like I was.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andria Goldson (Copper Contributor)
Solution
If this is a worksheet password, Select all, copy, paste to new sheet. Values only are transferred for hidden formulas. If it's a workbook open password, only forensic hacking tools can open them. Can you back to an older backup?

View solution in original post