viewing comments with hover in a protected sheet

Copper Contributor

I want to protect a worksheet in Excel 2013 and still have the mouseover or hover over comments visible. I don't want others to be able to change anything on the document, but I want them to be able to hover over parts of the document and see the comments individually.

11 Replies

@Kellykr , IMHO, comments are visible on protected sheet same way as on unprotected one.

When I protect the sheet in Excel, then I hover over the cell with the inserted  (and the little red triangle in the upper right corner), the comment does not appear. @Sergei Baklan 

@Kellykr , here is the cell with the comment on protected sheet

image.png

And here I hover the mouse over the cell

image.png

Maybe I am selecting something incorrectly. But if I go to the toolbar and select 'Protect Sheet', leave the default selections checked, set my password and click OK, the hover function does not show the comments. Do I need to select certain parts of the document prior to protecting the page? I am using Excel 2013.
BTW, I appreciate your attempt to help me out. Thank you.

@Kellykr , not sure, I'm on 2016, but my guess on 2013 it shall be the same. You may check attached file, password 1234, comment is in F52. That's just Protect Sheet as you said.

@Sergei Baklan is it possible to send my document to you to see if you can see why it does not work for me? if I attached it correctly, the password is 1234 and the comments are in the cells with the red circles.

@Kellykr , the sheet in the file you attached is unprotected, I may edit it. Please protect to check again.

@Kellykr , that is since you have shapes on the top of cells with the comments. If you remove them / move on another place, comments will be visible in protected sheet. Actually don't know how to fix with shapes, if only unlock them - but when users will be able to edit/remove shapes.

If you try with other alternatives, like formatted numbers within the cells - that works. If it will be something in mind with shapes I'll let you know, right know has no solution.

Thanks for the help. Changing the color of the cell and putting a number in there, works perfect. I was overthinking the form from the beginning.

Thanks again!!

@Kellykr , so far so good, you are welcome