SOLVED

update links to other workbooks

Copper Contributor

Can someone please help me to disable this permanently as I get frustrated with when making entries in a workbook it suddenly stops and on pressing enter it maximises another workbook which I then have to minimise it to continue, I have unchecked the box in advance options but whatever action I take afterwards ie close windows even a computer restart it still re checks the box. another irritating feature of Excel 

MTIA

Derek

6 Replies

@Derek Dawson 

hi

You can edit or break or update the links source in your Excel file as follows:

1. Click on the Data Tab
  2. Click on Edit Links
  3. Select the link from the box then
  4. Select the Option you need from the right side button. You Can select to break the links
  5. To specify what to do at Startup >> click on "Startup Prompt..." in the lower left corner. The Startup prompt dialog box opens:
  6. Select "Don't display the alert and don't update automatic links."
  7. Hit Ok then Close

Hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

best response confirmed by Derek Dawson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Derek Dawson 

Here it is

Break Links.png

Nabil Mourad

Thank you for your help much appreciated

Hi Nabil

Further to this query, something is still  not right, when I go into Data the edit links is not available ie not highlighted I had originally thought this was because it was not linked to another workbook but have now found it still links to another workbook. I have checked the other workbooks and the edit links is not available in any of them. Forgot to mention I am using Office 2016 in case it makes any difference.

Thanks for your time

Derek

@Derek Dawson 

Links could be not only in formulas within cells, in any other objects as well - conditional formatting formulas, defined names, etc.

You may try to play with Inquire if it exists in your version of Excel. Another option is FindLink http://www.manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm

@Derek Dawson 

Hi Derek

I agree with my friend @Sergei Baklan  that it's sometimes difficult to locate all kind of links using manual techniques that's why using the Inquire Tab of the ribbon can do that for you when analyzing the workbook.

Here is a video tutorial I created over a year ago about the inquire tab should you wish to refer to it. By the way it's available in your version 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHJJcXtQq4

Hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

Starting from Excel 2013 we have a new feature known as Inquire. With Inquire you can analyze, audit and review your workbooks along with data dependencies and potential errors and security concerns. Let's learn about this exciting new feature.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Derek Dawson (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Derek Dawson 

Here it is

Break Links.png

Nabil Mourad

View solution in original post