to ADD or REPLACE?

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to add another function to an existing step.

Currently, I have a properly functioning formula of:  =IF(ISBLANK($H7),  "", TODAY()-$H7)

which, when date column H is blank, so also, is days old column J.

AND, when a date is entered in H, the days old populates with the number of days - as desired.

Now begins my challenge:

Attempting to ADD a function to "REPLACE" days old ( which is continuously counting days)

even when Date is entered into R (task completed).

Without the above formula, the =DATEIF(H7,R7,"j") formula works fine.

MY REQUEST IS: HOW CAN I PUT THE TWO TOGETHER OR REPLACE THE OLD WITH THE NEW WHEN COLUMN J DATE IS ENTERED, please?

13 Replies

I'm not sure I understand,

Do you want it to stop counting the days when you add a date to column R?

Assuming that column R is today's date or a date in the past you could simply use this:

=IF(ISBLANK($H7),"", min(TODAY(),R7)-$H7)

Or you could try this:

=IF(ISBLANK($H3), "", IF(ISBLANK(R3),TODAY()-$H3,R3-H3))

Which might give you a bit more flexibility it terms of using completion dates in future.

It Worked FANTASTIC - thank you so much!!!

A continuation of this formula, please...

This formula works:

=IF(ISBLANK($G2),"",IF(ISBLANK(S2),TODAY()-$G2,S2-G2))

K - is the countdown for G to today (the above formula located here)

& when S has a date; then, countdown stops and

is replaced with days process was worked

G - is date process started (countdown, reflected in K)

S - is date process completed (countdown changed to total days process worked,

reflected in K)

NEW PROBLEM: Now they want to remove the “#value!” in K when “N/A” (or any other text) is in G

Desired Solution:

1. The “N/A” (or any other text) will remain on spreadsheet in G,
  2. make “N/A” (or any other text) equal to the date in I                                                                               I - is date a complete formal package is submitted
  3. and K to reflect I “-“ minus Today as a countdown, until S is filled (as described above)

I cannot figure out how to add this new section of formula to make it all work – please advise.

errm.

You might need to edit this a bit if I haven't understood.. But I think like this:

=iferror(IF(ISBLANK($G2),"",IF(ISBLANK(S2),TODAY()-$G2,S2-G2)),I2)

this is using the iferror formula which, if our main formula results in a #value or #n/a or any error code.. will do whatever comes after the , in this case it will be the same as I2. You can just change 'I2' for whatever you want it to do, including another formula.

Your suggested formula is almost working Phillip…. It does work in every scenario except, when there is text in G then, K produces an unexpectedly huge result – way more than expected from TODAY()-$I2,S2-I2.

When I modify the above formula to:

=iferror(IF(ISBLANK($G2),"",IF(ISBLANK(S2),TODAY()-$G2,S2-G2)),IF(ISBLANK(S2),TODAY()-$I2,S2-I2)) I get the same unexpected large result.

What else can I try, please?

what do you want it to do if there is text in G?

can you paste the contents of a row thats not working?

If there is text in G, then I need to use the date in I to either do the countdown in K or the days worked if date in S.  IF there is no date in I or S then I need to see a number zero in K.

As I keep modifying the formula to:

=IFERROR(IF(ISBLANK($G3),"",IF(ISBLANK(S3),TODAY()-$G3,S3-G3)),IF(ISBLANK(I3),I3,(TODAY()-$I3,S3-I3)))

Then I get “0” in K with I being blank – which is good!

However, when a date is in I, the “#value!” returns, with or without a date in S - instead of the desired countdown (with out date in S), or days worked (with date in S).

:( i've got a bit lost trying to visulaise it all.

Can you use something like if(isnumber(g3),true,false) to change the behavior depending on g3.. dates are recorded as a number, even if they are formatted to look like something else, so if isnumber is true you can assume that its a date, or know that its not text.

Lets try a visual...

Aaha! thanks. that's what we need!

try this:

=IFERROR(IF(ISBLANK($G3),"",IF(ISBLANK(S3),TODAY()-$G3,S3-G3)),IF(ISBLANK(S3),TEXT(TODAY()-$I3,"dd-mmm-yy"),S3-I3))

the very large result is how excel records dates.. its the number of seconds since 01/01/1900 (?) or something like that anyway. So what you need to do is tell excel to show it as a date.. but if you do that for the column then it will try to show the other numbers as a date.. so if we wrap that bit of the formula up in a text() then we can set the format for just that part of the result. I've used "dd-mmm-yy" as it matches the format of other dates in your sheet. You can change it to whatever makes sense.

Man I am learning so much from you Phil – thank you, for your patience with me!

However, in this case, K is not to be a Date (dd-mmm-yy), it is to be a number of days (the difference between one of four possibilities) in the following columns:

Column

G

I

K

S

Date Vacated

Official Start Date

# of Days

Countdown –or-Worked

(Location of this formula)

Date Completed

1)

date

blank

Countdown Between G date & TODAY()

blank

2)

Text - “Anticipated Vacancy”

blank

a zero, “0”

blank

3)

date

blank

# of days worked between S & G dates

date

4)

Text - “N/A”

date

Countdown Between I date & TODAY()

blank

Ultimate end result for all rows will be a:

# of days worked between S or I dates & G

date

correction on ultimate goal:

# of days worked between G or I dates & S

Ok, so.. this works I think:

=IF(ISBLANK($G2),"",IF(ISBLANK(S2),IF(ISNUMBER(G2),TODAY()-$G2,IF(G2="Anticipated Vacancy",0,TODAY()-I2)),S2-G2))

But its not very robust. As long as you stick to the 'rules' as outlined in your last post this should do what you want.

I'm pretty sure there is a neater way of doing this, but right now I cant think of it.